Bergara B14 HMR in 300 win mag

Kennyd

I'm thinking of purchasing one of these for shooting out to 1000 yards and also for my Dad to hunt out west. I have one in 6.5 Creedmoor and like it. I'm worried about the recoil for my Dad. Any thoughts? I do not to pur on a break for hunting.

I agree 100%. I would not worry about getting out to 1000 yards. This will be my 31st season hunting and I have never taken a shot on any animal that could not have been taken well inside of 1,000 yards.

That 6.5 Creedmoor will do the trick for certain. That 156 grain Berger loaded at 2660 fps should be humming along at over 1700fps and over 1000 pounds of energy at 800 yards. That makes it a legitimate hunting round at 800 yards if you do your part.

For the recoil generated, you aren't going to get better performance.

The 300 Win Mag with the 210 grain Bergers is traveling almost 1800 fps and has just over a frog's hair more than 1500 pounds of energy at the same distance. Is the extra recoil worth it for your dad?

You can obviously look into muzzle breaks for the Win Mag and tame the felt recoil a little bit. You could also do the same for the Creedmoor and make the thing a real puppy dog behind the scope.

Its up to you, but if recoil were an issue (and if my ol' man were still alive it would be) I would go with the Creedmoor. Also, I would look at the premier rifle instead of the HMR. I believe that the HMR comes with a 22" pipe in the 6.5 CM. You get a few more features and a few more inches with the premier for just a few dollars more.

They make the hmr pro that has a premier barreled action in it.

I agree 100%. I would not worry about getting out to 1000 yards. This will be my 31st season hunting and I have never taken a shot on any animal that could not have been taken well inside of 1,000 yards.

That 6.5 Creedmoor will do the trick for certain. That 156 grain Berger loaded at 2660 fps should be humming along at over 1700fps and over 1000 pounds of energy at 800 yards. That makes it a legitimate hunting round at 800 yards if you do your part.

For the recoil generated, you aren't going to get better performance.

The 300 Win Mag with the 210 grain Bergers is traveling almost 1800 fps and has just over a frog's hair more than 1500 pounds of energy at the same distance. Is the extra recoil worth it for your dad?

You can obviously look into muzzle breaks for the Win Mag and tame the felt recoil a little bit. You could also do the same for the Creedmoor and make the thing a real puppy dog behind the scope.

Its up to you, but if recoil were an issue (and if my ol' man were still alive it would be) I would go with the Creedmoor. Also, I would look at the premier rifle instead of the HMR. I believe that the HMR comes with a 22" pipe in the 6.5 CM. You get a few more features and a few more inches with the premier for just a few dollars more.

They make the hmr pro that has a premier barreled action in it.

I am not an expert on the rifles. I just know what I know by looking at the website. I just wouldn't buy a long range rifle with a 22" barrel, especially if I am paying premium dollars for it. If I am grabbing a used rifle somewhere on a good deal, then maybe. But, if I am buying a new rifle from a long range rifle maker I am getting the longer pipe.

I had just (2) months ago bought a HMR-PRO in the 300 WM. Had a Break put on, recoil is about like a 243! And on sitting it at 1000" (27) yds, then shooting @ 100 yds aprox 1/2 " for 5 shots. Not too bad for not even having the Pipe broak in. Did r7n a Snake after every 3 reds. Just short of 50 rds down range. Nice shooter, so far!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.