Bergara HMR 308

baconeater20

I recently purchased one and I am having a hard time getting this thing to shoot. The best I have found with hand loads is a .904" 3 shot group with it opening up to 1.5" with 5 shots. Tried different shooters same results. Triple checked everything. All is good working order. Tried 168 and 175 Ferderal FGMM. 1.5" on 3 shot groups. Tried other factory loads Federal Game Kings, Federal Trophy Bonded all in the 165 grain. Tried 185 Berger Classic Hunter. Nothing shoots worth a darn. Have read people having issues with the HMR in 308 but never read a remedy to that problem. Anyone have one that have found something that works please help me out. If not I will be sending it back to Bergara.

Thanks
MKG

Attachments

• 20190823_152757.jpg
    20190823_152757.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 382
What were ur handloads? Coal, and powder charge, primer?
Scope issue?
Did u install a muzzle brake? If so what kind?

I would take a good look at your crown. Seems to me a bad crown on a Bergara was mentioned a few weeks ago.

No muzzle break. Powders for hand loads are varget and 4064. COAL I cant remember off the top of my head. I do know it was the longest I can fit in the mag then backed off some. Scope is fine. Rings are fine. 55in lbs of torque of the stock and action. I did read where the paint inside the stock cracks and moves so when I get home I will remove the paint on action points. FGMM primers and CCI Large Rifle primers as well.
Matt

What is your COAL vs what your COAL is to the lands? Also I would clean the chassis of all paint under action and I personally would bed the lug. And then with a torque wrench check everything. One of the bergaras I messed with had a huge high spot in the barrel channel that I had to sand out to float it.

Yeah Remmy I read that last night. It caused alot of problems so I plan on sending the securing points on the stock and gonna bed. Did not check the Max Coal because need it to fit in the mag so figured it didnt matter what is was. Could be wrong though. Remmy I should have bought that 308 you had for sale a while back. Figured I could save some money and buy this. Kicking myself now.

Man if all rifles just shot well with no problems we wouldn't learn anything brother. U could prolly measure to lands and if at like .020 off won't fit in mag get a different mags. Pretty sure AI mags will work in that dbm brother.

I cant even run max mag length because of the action design. People say the have been filing some down to get that little extra. I myself will not do that to a new gun.

The hmr comes with an aics mag, but lighter 308 bullets should be fine with a 2.8-2.810 coal. Even with substantial jump there will be sweet spots that bullets like.
I would also check your trigger clearance, those stocks can be really tight there. Maybe sure there isn't any paint in there is a good idea. I would snug up action screws then slam the butt on the floor before really torquing them down. If there's warranty on the rifle, send it back before bedding it.

Man if all rifles just shot well with no problems we wouldn't learn anything brother. U could prolly measure to lands and if at like .020 off won't fit in mag get a different mags. Pretty sure AI mags will work in that dbm brother.
Edison didn't fail, he just learned 10,000 ways not to do something.

I hope you can find out what is going on, check the action screws torque to make sure they are good and tight.

I have a b14 hmr in .308 and one of my sons has a b14 timber in 308. My hmr likes federal gold match and will shoot sub 1/2 moa with both the 168 and 175 goldmatch. Doesnt like hornady's. Shoots those around an inch. I dont shoot handloads but it hates barnes while the timber loves the barnes. I would try some other bullet sizes and make sure to read the torque specs in the manual. After doing this, i believe it was 55, it helped alot. So far (between me and my sons) we have 5 bergaras. 2 premieres, an approach and a hmr in 6.5. All are very very accurate with factory ammo. We just had to find what they liked. I wish you luck and keep us posted on what happens.

Sure will. It has been at Bergara for 6 weeks. Hopefully get looked at soon. Tried a ton of factory stuff. It happens sometimes. Just ready to get it back.

MKG

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts