Bench recommendations

I searched Harbor Freight, the less expensive items did not look very robust.
Yeah the HB workmate was what I purchased to try and it was too flimsy. The stand might work. At one time I used a Gorrila Rack steel garage storage shelve, just half the height. I guess one could do that and cut the width to their liking also.

Do you have a sams club nearby? Their ultra hd benches are wonderful, and I think they make a smaller one that should work for you. I have the larger 6' one and it has held up very well, 2" butcher block top is really sturdy.

This is what I have. I modified it and put two layers of oak plywood on top and sealed the drawers together to make two large depth drawers instead of four small depth drawers. It has worked great so far and has been rock solid.

Back in the day when I had a lot more hair and it had color I built a bench. With the cost of lumber today not sure how cost effective. Simple 2x4 construction with a 2x6 vertically across the back to attach to wall and a 2x6 shelf between legs. The attach to wall stud point was mentioned above, to me a must have. And I am not a DIY'r but I used countersunk wood screws and it is a beast. Mine has a 24"x36" top but you can adjust to your needs. On mine I simultaneously run a Dillon 550, Dillon SDB, Forester Coax, RCBS chargemaster. If pics would help let me know and I'll give it a try.

JB

Back in the day when I had a lot more hair and it had color I built a bench. With the cost of lumber today not sure how cost effective. Simple 2x4 construction with a 2x6 vertically across the back to attach to wall and a 2x6 shelf between legs. The attach to wall stud point was mentioned above, to me a must have. And I am not a DIY'r but I used countersunk wood screws and it is a beast. Mine has a 24"x36" top but you can adjust to your needs. On mine I simultaneously run a Dillon 550, Dillon SDB, Forester Coax, RCBS chargemaster. If pics would help let me know and I'll give it a try.

JB

This thread shows the setup that I use and for me it works really well. I have a reloading bench made from two Craftsman tool chests and use a portable stand for my press. This allows my bench top to remain open for other aspects of reloading and working on guns, etc., and I can move my press stand in when needed. The press also sits lower, which make it more comfortable to use.

For a total cost of $0.00, I built my own. I used Home Depot gift cards for the materials I got from a rewards program. . It is 24X42 X38" high to fit a specific space. I have a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme mounted on it and it is rock solid. There are also benches and other bench-looking items like welding carts at Harbor Freight that will work and are compact and soild as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2630.JPG
    IMG_2630.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
I went to the home store and bought a plain white door. Works like a charm with plenty of room too. Legs bolted right up and today I am quite sure it would be cheaper than plywood.

One thing I did on my bench was to add a 3/8's steel plate 12"x48" mounted at the corners. I then drilled and tapped the steel for my different presses, so I did not have a bunch of Holes in the wood. The holes in the steel plate I tapped I put cap screws to keep then clean. when I change pressed I just use a small vaccume to clean the Hex head holes and mount the other press. No flexing in the table or presses.

So far no one has responded precisely to your request for ideas on a bench that is not deep. I had that same idea when I moved into this house 15 years ago -- I had a bench already but didn't want to screw a press to it, and it was 26" deep. Knowing my predilections, I knew I would just fill that empty flat space with junk that would get in the way of my reloading.

So I took a 2X8 that was 30" long, and mounted it to the wall by screwing it to a 2X6 that was screwed solidly into the studs. Then I cut two 2X6s that went from the front edge of the bench to the floor at the back wall line. In other words, they formed a large triangle with the wall.

The bench is just large enough I ultimately mounted 3 presses to it, and it was solid enough that no amount of pressure on the press handle would cause it to move. I did mount a piece of 3/8 steel plate to the bottom, so there was no tendency for the 2X8 to flex when I pushed down on a press handle.

Solid, took very little space, and kept my presses ready but out of the way.

For the size you stated I agree that making it yourself from scratch is the best way. Some 2x4 pieces and a 4x4 sheet of 3/4" plywood ripped in half twice, 48x12 pieces and some screws is all you need. Probably sturdier than the ones you could buy. You should definitely attach to wall.

Or like the guy above said, solid board fastened to a ledger on the wall and braced to the wall base.

Last edited: