Bell & Carlson VS. McMillian

JK

Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Stock OR McMillian A4
what would be the best stock? On a Remington model 700 VSSF

I think Bell and Carlsons offer tremendous value. I have shoot both and own a B&C. I prefer the grip on the B&C over the McMillan. However I find McMillans to have a Superior forend design. Both stocks are rigid and robust. If it were my rifle and my money I would get the B&C.

I own both and I think they are both good stocks. You can add a aftermarket cheek piece to you B&C for $75 more. If waiting for a Mcmillan is the problem Third Generation has some on hand you can get. They are A5's and cost alittle more but the are awesome stocks.

here is a picture of a B&C with a saddle cheek piece
10-16-08003.jpg

Brent

The Mcmillians are such an awesome stock that they are hard to compare to a B&C. Although the B&C do offer alot for the price, in reality it is not that much more to get a McMillian, but it is a crazy wait.

ONCE AGAIN THANKS FOR THE RECOMMENDATIONS....
EITHER ONE IS BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL VSSF STOCK.
NOW THE MONEY FACTOR $$$$$????
blipelt WHAT A RIG!

J.K.

Is there a reason why you want a new stock? Is that one an H.S. precision? The best stock in my opinion is the one that fits you the best.

I am faced with a similar dilema. I am deciding if I want to change a Weatherby SUB MOA vanguard syn. stock with a new one. The stock is pillared but not bedded. I have decided to free float the barrel(vanguards are pressure bedded) put a better trigger in and bed the stock and see how it shoots.

Brent

Last edited:
That HS stock would be better than a BC, that's for sure.

Care to elaborate ?

I disagree. I have 2 HS stocks, 2 B&C stocks and one McM A5.

The HS Police stock I have is a bulbous shortgripped abomination. The aluminum bedding block was also a hair out of alignment with the stock as well. Some filing of the bedding block and a good bedding job was required to fix it. Either way, it is the most uncomfortable stock I have ever tried - no thanks and I replaced it with the A5. My second HS is the Varminter Sendero which for some reason I cannot get comfortable behind it. Also, the recoil pads on these HS stocks are glued (?) and they very hard. Further, the stocks around bipod stud on both HS stock have chipped as the studs have bent over time - bad design !

I shoot the B&C vertical grip with AL bedding block and I love it. It is hands down a nicer stock than the HS Police stock, and I mean a better in terms of proportion, fit, finish and ergonomics. The B&C medalist Mountain rifle stock with AL pillars on my sheep rifle is also a very nice stock at 22 ounces - near perfect for me even though it has a 1/2 too short LOP (on purpose) than I usually like. No complaints with either and and I would take a B&C over and HS stock every time regardless of cost (nevermind that the B&C's are cheaper)

The McM A5 is very nice. No complaints from me.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.