Beginner 7 SAUM reloading tips

Hello, I'm new to the forum here and seeking some advice as far hand loads/reloading tips for my new 7 SAUM.

I'm really interested in finding a good starting point for solid deer hunting loads, as that's what I'm primarily setting this rifle up for.

* using ADG brass
* 22" proof carbon barrel 1:8 twist
* custom mid-length action

Any advice on primers, powders, preffered projectiles would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Is it a saami action with a saami freebore?

I've never had really any problem with any weight in a 7mm Saum. Most efficient cartridge to me there is. I have several chambered for it. If you going to shoot 168's or less then you can use a Short Action. If you going heavier then use a Medium Action or Long Action. I use all LA's except for one of them. I have 8 chambered rifles in the cartridge. I've shot, just a guess, maybe 8 barrels out to date. They are easy to load. They love 175's, 180's and even 195's. If you want to shoot heavies then use a Freebore of .190" to .220". All the heavies shoot fine in that FB range.

The statement above that the cartridge won't shoot heavies like the 180's is BS. Even in the short actions. You just inhibit yourself a little with velocity using a SA. So that's why you use LA's. You won't regret it. Built one last week that shoots one hole groups. They are super super easy to load. If you can't reload for a 7mm SAUM then obviously you know nothing about reloading for precision. OP.....build it on a Long Action and tell your gunsmith you want a freebore of .190 to .220" and you will never look back.
Eldx and eldm's in the 162s. 168 bergers are good also if you can find them. With 7mms you kinda have to shoot what you can find unfortunately.

I've never had really any problem with any weight in a 7mm Saum. Most efficient cartridge to me there is. I have several chambered for it. If you going to shoot 168's or less then you can use a Short Action. If you going heavier then use a Medium Action or Long Action. I use all LA's except for one of them. I have 8 chambered rifles in the cartridge. I've shot, just a guess, maybe 8 barrels out to date. They are easy to load. They love 175's, 180's and even 195's. If you want to shoot heavies then use a Freebore of .190" to .220". All the heavies shoot fine in that FB range.

The statement above that the cartridge won't shoot heavies like the 180's is BS. Even in the short actions. You just inhibit yourself a little with velocity using a SA. So that's why you use LA's. You won't regret it. Built one last week that shoots one hole groups. They are super super easy to load. If you can't reload for a 7mm SAUM then obviously you know nothing about reloading for precision. OP.....build it on a Long Action and tell your gunsmith you want a freebore of .190 to .220" and you will never look back.

That's good info. I've built mine on a custom mid length action. To my understanding, the mid length should allow me to run those heavier 180's. At least I hope so. I definitely want to play around with those later.

That's a good question. I'm assuming it's to SAMMI specs. My gunsmith hasn't started yet. Probably within the next month. Can you explain the benefits of the freebore? I really appreciate all of the great input.

Well I am glad you said it 😂

Find H1000 with a Berger 168 somewhere in between 60-65 grs.
A very very well known gun Builder uses that combination with their ammo and it's Super accurate in most rifles .

In my 7mm RSAUM (XP-100, 17.5" Bartlein 5R bbl, 0.140" freebore), I've had excellent results using H1000 and H4831sc.

H1000 give more velocity (even in the short 17.5" bbl) than H4831sc with similar accuracy. My gun typically shoots 1/2 MOA and sometimes better (some 1/4 MOA groups).

Berger 168 VLDH's and Hornady 162 ELDX's are running 2830-2850 fps for me from my 17.5" bbl using R-P brass.

That's a good question. I'm assuming it's to SAMMI specs. My gunsmith hasn't started yet. Probably within the next month. Can you explain the benefits of the freebore? I really appreciate all of the great input.
The longer freebore lets you seat the heavies to the bottom of the neck with the bottom of the longer bullets bearing surface. This keeps the bullet out of the powder column and will give you a little higher velocity, better powder dispersion, and basically lets the cartridge shine better long range. Since you're doing a medium action you can do this. If your gunsmith says he can not give you that freebore then go find another gunsmith. It's worth it. Trust me.

I'll chime in bc I have a similar setup except I have a SA 20" carbon proof 7 saum. I have a couple loads that I have tuned for my rifle. None are screaming fast……the fast ones were too hard on my very hard to find ADG brass. All hit hard and work to 500+ yards on pretty much anything I hunt including a big bull elk two years ago

143 Hammer Hunter , 58.3 h4350 , fed 215m, ADG brass, COAL 2.870. 3033 fps

168 Berger VLD Hunter, 64.5 H1000, fed 210m, ADG, COAL 2.960, 2820 fps.

180 Hornady ELDM, 58.5 H4831sc, Fed 210m, ADG, COAL 2.925, 2675 fps……before you say that is an anemic load it is super accurate, carries 1500 ft pounds past 500 yards and you don't have to worry about the ELDM blowing up at short range like the guys that hot rod them. I LOVE this combo and it is my go to load. I have loads for an 180 Berger hybrid also. Are they as fast as a LA running a 28" tube? Not even close but they hit hard and brass lasts! Don't get too caught up in the velocity game and you will be very happy.

I'll chime in bc I have a similar setup except I have a SA 20" carbon proof 7 saum. I have a couple loads that I have tuned for my rifle. None are screaming fast……the fast ones were too hard on my very hard to find ADG brass. All hit hard and work to 500+ yards on pretty much anything I hunt including a big bull elk two years ago

143 Hammer Hunter , 58.3 h4350 , fed 215m, ADG brass, COAL 2.870. 3033 fps

168 Berger VLD Hunter, 64.5 H1000, fed 210m, ADG, COAL 2.960, 2820 fps.

180 Hornady ELDM, 58.5 H4831sc, Fed 210m, ADG, COAL 2.925, 2675 fps……before you say that is an anemic load it is super accurate, carries 1500 ft pounds past 500 yards and you don't have to worry about the ELDM blowing up at short range like the guys that hot rod them. I LOVE this combo and it is my go to load. I have loads for an 180 Berger hybrid also. Are they as fast as a LA running a 28" tube? Not even close but they hit hard and brass lasts! Don't get too caught up in the velocity game and you will be very happy.

That's good to know as well. I definitely want a balance between speed and accuracy.

Hello, I'm new to the forum here and seeking some advice as far hand loads/reloading tips for my new 7 SAUM.

I'm really interested in finding a good starting point for solid deer hunting loads, as that's what I'm primarily setting this rifle up for.

* using ADG brass
* 22" proof carbon barrel 1:8 twist
* custom mid-length action

Any advice on primers, powders, preffered projectiles would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
If you decide on 168 Berger, here is what tech support provided me as a baseline.

1685206439080.jpeg

Recent Posts