Bedding Savage Axis to Boyds stock?

I have not done this. There are some who have milled approx 3/16" off the action face and used a standard savage recoil lug(10/110) instead of the axis style.

Be aware that the more bedding material you put around the recoil lug the less recoil lug you have! Never saw any real improvement in accuracy as a result of bedding a Boyd's laminate stock and I have done a few over the years.

Be aware that the more bedding material you put around the recoil lug the less recoil lug you have! Never saw any real improvement in accuracy as a result of bedding a Boyd's laminate stock and I have done a few over the years.
The benefit to bedding a laminate stock aside from any possible accuracy improvement is strength. I have seen many laminate stocks crack. I wouldn't shoot anything but a rimfire in a laminated stock without bedding it.

The benefit to bedding a laminate stock aside from any possible accuracy improvement is strength. I have seen many laminate stocks crack. I wouldn't shoot anything but a rimfire in a laminated stock without bedding it.
Agree here, especially the Boyd's savage stocks. There is very little material where the rear action screw is positioned between the trigger inletted area and magazine cutout. The two Boyd's I have both cracked there before pillars and bedding. After pillaring/bedding more torque can be applied to both action screws resulting most often in more accuracy.

To each his own. Never ever had a Boyds stock crack.
2 boyds, 3 rugers, and a remington stock. The first one happened when I was 17 while shooting at an elk with my ruger m77 30-06. I missed and shouldn't have, the shot felt good. I looked at my rifle and the tang was chipped out. The entire recoil lug cracked on both sides and allowed the action to force readward and crack out the tang.

I would be willing to bet if you pulled your unbedded boyds stocks off the action and looked, or applied some light pressure with your hands prying them apart, you will see a crack.

Again as you stated, to each their own. I prefer my barreled actions to stay in the stock. Boyds themselves even recommend pillar bedding their stocks. So to the O.P., your on the right track. Get it bedded.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.