Stiffen Savage Axis/Edge Stock

Antler24

This might be a real dumb idea, but I've been thinking about trying to stiffen up the fore end of my savage edge stock. I was thinkin about taking out some material on each side of the "pillars". Take a couple composite (or other material) arrow shafts and fit them into the stock, where I took out the material to make them fit in there. Then epoxy or bed them in there. Any else this is a good idea, or am I just crazy...

I did this on my stevens 200. I'm not sure how similar the stocks are but i will post some pics of what i did when I get home. its much more sturdy and doesnt flex as much when i use a bipod.

Please post the pics! I love shooting off the bipod but I know when I do the barrel is always touching the stock, because the stock is bending. How much weight did it at to your rifle?

Alright sorry for the poor quality photos first off... didnt realize my daughter had gotten a hold of my camera and handled the filter.

I was pretty conservative with the rods and size... pretty small in diameter.

I used a dremel and made a hole just so the rods would barely squeeze in. one on each side. its been painted. I didnt add any epoxy or bondo. like i said pretty conservative. no weight difference really. I also used sand paper on the very front of the stock to open it up just slightly.

I picked the rods up at home depot...im sure you go with a larger gauge. or just add a couple more with some epoxy.

Not even sure if the axis had same stock under barrel but this should get you started with ideas.

IMG_7797.jpg

IMG_7796.jpg

IMG_7795.jpg

IMG_7794.jpg

IMG_7793.jpg

DSC07364.jpg

this is what a guy on savageshooters did there are a few otheres there that did it to

I did a similar thing but.

I didnt drill i just cut the cross bars i only drilled back into the thick part just before the tang, slid in some hard steel pins/rods then filled with fiberglass and resin, sorry i didnt think of piccys.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.