Beating up some pigs in Texas

Doublezranch

500mag_guy, my son, father and I embarked to a couple of our Texas ranches for a bit of r&r and some pig killin!! We left -30 and dry roads to snow, ice, and rain from Kansas to Texas. We couldn't have asked for better pig weather. The first night we saw a jet black sow and some shoats running across one of the field. A shot rang out from the 458 socom and well, I'll let Eric explain what happened!!:D. The second morning my son and I teamed up and scored on a hike through the river bottoms. I shot with my 338 rum and 265 LRX hitting its mark, with a follow up with the 7mm-08 with the 140 ttsx Barnes. The ice was broken and away we went. The following night Eric and I doubled on two of the biggest pigs Texas had to offer. Estimated range was 250 with shot placement being square front shoulder. They both flopped like a couple of fish and thought to myself that we would pick them up on the way back. To our dismay and 2 hours of looking, the pigs were gone. I have seen this before were the bigger pigs fall like a stone then get up and run away. Eric found this out first hand the next night when he buried a big black sow. She fell straight to the ground after the shot with Eric on his horse to get to the pig. Once he was at the pig, she stopped breathing and drag began. He started pulling her to the road until she kicked him in the wrist and swung her teeth toward his wrist. In something out of a Wild West movie he let go, grabbed his 44mag, and swatted her in the head with the round. Amazing!! The next morning he connected on a small black sow and my son connected on a small boar pig. Again shot placement was dead center shoulder and that little pig cartwheeled twice. It laid there for a minute and got up, ran away. It ran in the trees to never to be found again.
Second to the last day karma caught up to that first sow that Eric ...... And he ended up taking her and one of her shoats. Last night we went out and a river bottom hike was in store. My son and I ended up walking 2 miles when we walked up on a corner post with big cactus (prickly pear) in the mesquites. As we walked to the fence we could see that the fence was destroyed, the cactus was eaten and destroyed, and there was the most unbelievable routing that I have ever seen (10 years). The fence posts were pulled out of the ground and holes dug that were mid shin high. I told Zayne that we were in their bedroom and we just have to find them. We walked 250 yards and I saw a big black ear flip and I knew it was go time. Zayne and I crawled within 40 of the nastiest terrain we have ever experienced. We raised our rifles and waited for the group to stand....all at once up they stood!! 8 monsters..all colors. The closest one to me I crushed with a shoulder shot. The boar ran to Zayne, the pig was much bigger than him but he stood his ground and shot missing just behind it. The rest of the group went sprinting to my left were I set my scope in a opening in the trees, BOOM, I fired again and hit another sow. After the pigs were all gone, a father and a son stood in amazement. 2 massive pigs down, with a 3 mile hike to the truck. We hugged, high fived, hugged some more and then I asked for the knife. Zayne said....I thought you had it. Oh boy...I called Eric for help. Once he got there we gutted the pigs and made a game plan. We decided Eric and I would carry the pigs on our backs to the truck. Ok, for a 22 year old kid, hiking with 250-300 pounds on our back is one thing, but when your 38, life is different. Good thing I destroyed the shoulders on the black pig so we cut her in half.
All in all we had a great time and had many memories we will never forget. Zayne and I pray after ever animals life we take, and it was wonderful to see Eric do the same. Here are some pics of the last 2 pigs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 187
I will be down in Ft.Worth area in June. Know of any places to hunt pigs in that area? Was raised around Waco, but that was a long time ago. Now living in NC.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.