Bears in the woods, how tough to tell?

Inside 500 yards with optics it is pretty hard to misjudge. I cant say that for these fella's that was the case, but from my experience with grizzlies is that they are easily I.D'd. I have shot several color phase black bears, and always take the extra time anyways. Its just not worth losing my hunting heritage. I hope that if it was an honest mistake it is handled justly, if it was neglegence then a year sounds good to me.

JUST REALIZED THIS IS A VERY OLD POST. OOOPSS.

I have grown up hunting in NW MT, and I can usually tell you in a half wink of the eye.I hunt alot in grizz country. But with lighting,mud on their coats and size,I have wondered on a few. I spent a fair amount of time looking at the paws of the largest MT blacky I have seen, iT was so big and slight chocolate I thought it had to be a grizz. Lately most spring bear hunting I see about 1/3 grizz, most springs I see about 30-45 bears, saw over 60 one spring.

One clue was it was close enough to the road to get it into the truck whole. Makes you wonder if the truck tires had stopped rolling before the bullets were flying.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.