Bear country pistol

The thing I don't like about bear spray it's just a deterrent if a bear is mad and adrenaline flowing I wouldn't want to trust a spray.

I've heard of and seen a few videos were people bought bear spray and it wouldn't spray from old cans to new ones.

Think I would rely on a primer to go off instead of bear spray.
To make things worse the cans can sit for years in a case and leak the propellant.My brother in law got attacked by a mean black bear that ran many folks out of the area but brother in law says I got bear spray so I'm no scared.The bear attacked,got within 5 feet or so and brother in law pushed the button and it went,Poof and done!It got worse!The wind blew the small poof of spray back into brother in law's face!He fell to the ground screaming and the bear got scared and ran.So I told brother in law,throw the bear spray away and just start screaming!
Nope,I would rather rely on a proven method!44 mag or 10 mm!

To make things worse the cans can sit for years in a case and leak the propellant.My brother in law got attacked by a mean black bear that ran many folks out of the area but brother in law says I got bear spray so I'm no scared.The bear attacked,got within 5 feet or so and brother in law pushed the button and it went,Poof and done!It got worse!The wind blew the small poof of spray back into brother in law's face!He fell to the ground screaming and the bear got scared and ran.So I told brother in law,throw the bear spray away and just start screaming!
Interesting tactic!

I picked up a Girsan 1911 with a 6-inch barrel in 10 mm and love it and would use it as protection in bear country if needed. Maybe my mind will change over time in the event that I have some malfunctions but after two range trips over 200 rounds without a malfunction and a true joy to shoot I doubt.

I think the 6-inch barrel helps tame the beast, with either store-bought or warm handloads limited recoil and flawless operation what is not to like?

Like when a guy's out there Elk hunting and a coyote trots past. Seems if the Elk hunts going a bit slow, coyote's make for good practice for your Bear pistol. Most any N or X frame S&W or 20 or 21 Glock, can see ya thru a fuzzy situation. Throw in a Hey Bear, now and then if they're too close.

Like when a guy's out there Elk hunting and a coyote trots past. Seems if the Elk hunts going a bit slow, coyote's make for good practice for your Bear pistol. Most any N or X frame S&W or 20 or 21 Glock, can see ya thru a fuzzy situation. Throw in a Hey Bear, now and then if they're too close.
I have had more than a few yotes get a free pass while rifle hunting cause I didn't want to shoot and make noise. Not so while archery hunting. Years ago I was in a tree stand on Kiabab Plateau, close to North Rim of Grand Canyon. Hunted there for many years for deer before it went to a draw for archery. Was watching some does and fawns below me. A coyote came in and chased a fawn. The fawn was yelling. The doe ran after the coyote. It ****ed me off. I yelled hey ! The yote stopped . I started squeaking on my hand. The yote came within 10 yards of tree I was in. He was looking around. I drew back and let arrow fly. It went right through him into the ground and he took off. Watched him spin around and croak about 25 yards from me. I had a big smile on my face 😁

In all fairness, the wind has to blow pretty hard to blow a 44 mag back in your face! :eek:

Not me, days to go elk hunting are tough enough to come by, especially days with good conditions that I'm not about to let them know that I'm around by trying to light up a yote..........slow elk hunting days can go to a very interesting day in a blink so I always work to keep it quiet...Just my way

FN510 hands down. Comes with 22rd mag. If 20 or 21rds doesn't stop or alter the thought process of any bad attitude brownie, you can always use the last 1 or 2 on yourself. It's my fave 10mm for function and I have had a lot of them over the yrs
It's great if you all want to carry a semi-truck full of ammo but from talking to a good friend with Alaska Game and Fish, the average guy gets off about 3 rounds between the time he realizes a charge and the bear is standing in the middle of his chest. As far as revolver vs auto-stuffer goes, I have visions of a self induced stoppage with an auto due to either a contact shot, bear hair caught in the slide , weird /bad grip or what ever, and wonder if anyone practices clearing one of those stoppages with one hand....because the other hand is stuffed down the bear's throat, probably up to their elbow...just sayin'. I like auto's and carry one daily. When I'm worried about Mr. Bruin I thing I'll stay with my .44 mangrum wheelie-gun. If I have a failure to fire for some unfathomable reason, ( like an angel ****ed on my primer) I can clear it with one finger.

Recent Posts