Bear country and no gun?

when we camped up in the colorado MTN's I carried a 40 CAL Glock and I slept with it near my head in my sleeping bag. I'm not into spraying something that can make bear poop out of me !!

back in my wilder days I got into a fight with another man we were both drunk the cop put us both into the back of the cop car i spun around to kick the other feller and the cop pulls over the car and gives me a nice shot of pepper spray into both eyes I mean a close up SHOT . after i caught my breath i went back to kicking and stopming the other guy Sooooooo I hope the bear sray is a whole lot stronger :)

BigBuck

I have a semi scary funny story and a serious bit of info,
Story time, a few years back, there was a black bear mauling a chicken coop. So a few days after the season opened a bear returned to feast. I should mention that we were close to a urban setting so the firearm was out of the question. Well there we were, ready! A friend, an avid archery hunter, lung shot the darn thing, with his bow. Well it ran up a tree, and as things go, the bear was not dying all that fast, and decided to come back down the tree for tea and crumpets. Well here shows up my dog, a real dumb lab, all bad and ferocious barking and growling, but just about to get opened up like a pinata at a ......well anyway. I grabbed the closest club like hunk of wood I could find, and hit that bear right between the eyes as it came down the tree. I believe I had a burst of panic strength! The bear crumpled to the ground......but not for very long. There was arrows whizzing and crap flying in all directions for what seamed like two years, and to be honest it was at this point I realized a ticket for firing a weapon in a restricted area was not a bad idea. oh ya, and Fido was long gone! In a feat of super human rage I beat the bear to near death with a club like stick, and seriously believe that the poorly placed "oh my god we are all going to die" pin cushion treatment helped. If I had been the shooter I think in the final moments of that bears life I would have bit the bear on the neck and growled just to be cool.
The strength and will to live, of every animal except domestic sheep is so under rated that it is not even funny.
I believe that because of the presence of the wolf, that as time passes we will notice the nature of bears of both flavor become way more aggressive. The manor of which they find food or feed there cubs will also change. Really a nylon tent full of weak slow defenseless human flesh is irresistible opportunity to provide calories to there diet. Bears which are not aggressive are eaten or loose cubs.

I also am a believer of the portable electric fence around camp, but be darned careful where you urinate in the dark!

One of friends (shooting buddy) is the firearms trainer for a grizzly bear management team. They built a prop to simulate an attacking bear. Kind of interesting to see what happens when you have to recognize a threat, clear leather with a 629 Smith, then actually hit a charging target.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.