Bear Bating

huntaxhunta

Anybody got ways to lure bears to your area? I am opportuned to hunt in AR.
There are bears in this part of the state we just don't know about this ground. I'm not a pro bear hunter but I'm going to give it heck.
Want to know how to bait bears....I'm asking the experts. Thanks

If you have a discount bread store near you, buy a truck load of the old cheapest bread they have. Then see if you can get grease/waste oil from a donut shop or fast food joint (any place with a fryer) Dependent on your states rules of course, but that is what we do up here in north idaho. I like to bury a lot of it in a large hole about 4' in diameter and leave some on the surface. If there's bears in the area they will be on it within a few days.

Anybody got ways to lure bears to your area? I am opportuned to hunt in AR.
There are bears in this part of the state we just don't know about this ground. I'm not a pro bear hunter but I'm going to give it heck.
Want to know how to bait bears....I'm asking the experts. Thanks
Been guiding for 35 years.Sweets have worked best.Hang old fish in a tree.The smell will start them coming in.Get some brush and lay it in such away the bear will give you a good shot when going for the bait.Wear rubber gloves and boots to keep your scent down when around the bait sight.Get a bag of some kind with bait and place it higher in a tree each time you bait to get an idea of how big the bear is coming in Good luck

Depending on how long you bait (months) best if you change the menu a few times. They love sweets, bit I've found that they will leave the bait for a high protine food source (acorns) ... change up your bait mix a few times and you will hold them longer.

Depending on how long you bait (months) best if you change the menu a few times. They love sweets, bit I've found that they will leave the bait for a high protine food source (acorns) ... change up your bait mix a few times and you will hold them longer.
You can only bait in Maine for two months and doing it for as long as I have I have found out what ever you use in preseason you do not change. the smaller bear's will come in ,but the big boy's do not like change Now if there are still natural bait's left like nut's and berries they will go to them first.That really screw's the hunting up.but depending where you are at differant thing's work.I am just going by what work's here

*Disclaimer* I am not an expert. From my expert deer hunting buddies Burnt meat does the trick.

*Disclaimer* I am not an expert. From my expert deer hunting buddies Burnt meat does the trick.
We used to use meat,but every guide I know has stopped all together.We use some old fish to start with .but as soon as the bears find the bait site we stop that.Like I said before.It all depends where you hunt at.I know one guide in Canada that use's nothing but popcorn .After several generation's of bear we have conditioned them to our way's

I used to use a lot of grease along with the outlet store breads. Now ive sorta refined to using a bit less once they find it (just a taste), but keep up with the jello powder and vanilla. Gonna do some sugar burns this year. Recent evidence has proved its staying power and strength for me.

I used to use a lot of grease along with the outlet store breads. Now ive sorta refined to using a bit less once they find it (just a taste), but keep up with the jello powder and vanilla. Gonna do some sugar burns this year. Recent evidence has proved its staying power and strength for me.
We used to use a lot of grease but the logging companies where we have most of our baits told us to stop

Just curious...what was their reasoning?
Some of the other guides would throw it on the same trees year after year.I guess they were afraid it would effect the wood I always would put it on stumps or anything already down,but the owners stopped it for everybody

What range do you all typically set up your bait on? Sounds like many different baits across the country. Interesting. I'd love to go bear hunting here in Oregon but haven't yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.