Beanland vs McWhorter Rifles

I too would be interested in a ballpark price. Don't wish to waste the mans time if outa my range.

I just recently got my rifle back from Jon. He's a awesome builder and a super nice guy to deal with. I built a 300 win mag on a trued rem 700 action. Med Palma Bartlein barrel 1:10 and 26", Macmillan HTG stock with adjustable cheek piece and Timney trigger. Pillar bedded stock and cerakote all metal. I had all components shipped directly to Jon and with his labor all together gun was right at $2500. And for the quality and workmanship from Jon I think that's a heck of a price. That also included fluting barrel and tactical bolt knob.

Me thinks this is a naive question. Most probably any rifle from either of these sources will out shoot the shooter and mechanically function beyond the requirements of any situation that will be encountered by a typical user.

Personalities and temperaments notwithstanding I doubt there would be dissatisfaction with final result regardless of the choice.

Yep. No doubt.

Mcwhorter is really fun to say. Other than that it sounds like beanfield builds a good gun. I've got a couple smiths that I'm buddies with down here in Va so I really can't comment. I know one guy that bought 2 7mm stw rifles from Mcwhorter and he loves them

Bean land makes a great gun. I have 2 that I bought off this site and they are both some of the most accurate guns I own.

Here's one Jon built for me. 6.5x47Lapua with Krieger 1-8.5 ROT. Absolutely one more tack driver!

RicksTacRifle by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

And another in 30/06....another shooter!

Beanland06 by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

OH MY GOODNESS!!! Them bolt handles are on the wrong side. Send em back.:D:D:D:D

I have a Jon Beanland build waiting on me when I get home off of this job in Kentucky. This is my first build with Jon though I have handled some of his work. The fit and finish is second to none and all that I know that own his rifles are certainly not dissappointed.

We talked regularly throughout the build process, mostly me calling him and sometimes him calling me just to verify something. He doesn't assume. My build was a 7LRM, everything including the Bighorn action was drop shipped to him and he let me know up front about how long everything would take and when parts were in. Even got it done a little sooner than he had indicated.

Now with that said McWorter does make a fine rifle and both a Beanland or a McWorter will likely out shoot the guy behind it, But most that I know think the McWorter is a little over priced.

OH MY GOODNESS!!! Them bolt handles are on the wrong side. Send em back.:D:D:D:D

I have a Jon Beanland build waiting on me when I get home off of this job in Kentucky. This is my first build with Jon though I have handled some of his work. The fit and finish is second to none and all that I know that own his rifles are certainly not dissappointed.

We talked regularly throughout the build process, mostly me calling him and sometimes him calling me just to verify something. He doesn't assume. My build was a 7LRM, everything including the Bighorn action was drop shipped to him and he let me know up front about how long everything would take and when parts were in. Even got it done a little sooner than he had indicated.

Now with that said McWorter does make a fine rifle and both a Beanland or a McWorter will likely out shoot the guy behind it, But most that I know think the McWorter is a little over priced.

If you buy a Mcworter do not expect any after the sale service once you get your rifle it's yours. Talking to Tim is a waste of time.

If you buy a Mcworter do not expect any after the sale service once you get your rifle it's yours. Talking to Tim is a waste of time.

Interesting. My shooting partner purchased a used McWhorter which had some issues, and they did a great job of servicing him, helping with ammo, etc. We were both pleased with them and how he was treated.

They're all business on the phone, not "talkers," and as long as you know that going in I think you will do fine.

if your issue can be resolved over the phone great.
How about blowing primers out of the case, does not take a genius to explain that does it?

If they did what they say over phone should not take a lot of conversation. Provided a faulty magazine Tim said he would send another after shooting single shot for month i went to a reputable gunsmith got a new one as the original was bad from factory.

This is just two of the issues.

I haven't dealt with McWhorter but I do have two rifles built by Jon Beanland and recommend him without any reservations. I've had a fair number of rifles built in the past & I'm picky, Jon's the only builder I've ever gotten a rifle back from that was flawless. Both of mine were, I looked them over from top to bottom & they were both exactly how I'd spec'd and there was nothing that wasn't perfectly done. They're both sporter weight hunting rifles, a 6.5x47 & a 7mm rem mag, & they shoot fantastic. I took him a pile of parts & a sheet detailing what I wanted. He did them in a reasonable time as promised & at a reasonable price. Truth be told I didn't ask him pricing before I had him build them, I just said do it. His pricing is certainly reasonable for the quality of his work. He'll be getting more business from me, I'm very impressed and that's hard to do.

Last edited:
I've had custom work done by 6 different smiths over 8-9 rifles. I've only had 1 bad experience, a couple mediocre ones, and a few really good ones. One, a Sako hunting rifle rebarreled by Jon Beanland.

I would recommend Jon without reservation to my best friend (in fact, I have!). He does great work, he'll take the time to to talk with you and listen. Everything is done is a timely and professional manner, with a fine eye for detail (I'm a picky SOB). It also shoots great, which I guess is the point. He's a great guy to boot.

Jon will get my business for my next full build and for a rebarrel I want to do. Frankly, I don't know how he could be any better, except maybe closer, and less busy :)

-nosualc

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts