Military vs. Civilian rifles?

Bowhunter57

Example: I've used a Mosin-Nagant 7.62x54R for coyotes, but am currently using a Stevens .25-06. Most of my rifle choices are based on ballistics and functionallity (the right rifle for the job).

Would you use a military rifle, instead of a civilian rifle for hunting?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

If you count the old Remington Rolling block as a Military rifle, yes. Other than that, I have plenty of other rifles more suited to hunting. Not against doing it.

Example: I've used a Mosin-Nagant 7.62x54R for coyotes, but am currently using a Stevens .25-06. Most of my rifle choices are based on ballistics and functionallity (the right rifle for the job).

Would you use a military rifle, instead of a civilian rifle for hunting?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

'03 Springfield!! You bet your bottom dollar I would

I certainly could, and did when I was a kid, but that's all I had. My most accurate military rifle I own is an unmodified Springfield 03-A3 made in 1943 and it can probably stand with lots of modern rifles. But to use it in it's original format for serious hunting, no. I have too many rifles that are far better suited.

I hunt with an AR (among others), so I guess yep. The lines between mil and civ rifles are too blurred to segregate anyway.

I've shot a considerable amount of game and large number of predators with my old M1A, and my SOCOM Scout model. They and AR's make great choices for predator hunting in particular.

The Lee Enfield, German Mauser, and 03A3 have killed more game around the world than all other calibers combined in years gone by and no one can argue that.

They have their place but very few of them can offer the accuracy and ballistics that can match up with the calibers and types of rifles we generally talk about here.

I agree that the old military rifles like the enfields, springfields and mausers are still as great as ever and also that in todays world the lines have been totally blurred between military and civilian rifles. Also lets take into account that nearly every rifle designed for military use is available to civilians.
What it comes down to is what cartridge suits the purpose and what set up feels right for the guy pulling the trigger. As long as you are confident sending the round at the target, you are using the right firearm. I have several different combonations of stock style, barrel build, calibre and optics. I have loads worked up for each that do what they are asked to, but I also live by a very strict rule for everything in my safe: I will not own a firearm that is not accurate with store bought ammunition. I sold two rifles last year that could not shoot better than 1.5 MOA with any factory ammo I could find. But that is me, not you.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.