Beanland Custom .308 build

gpower77

First time to post on the LRH site, have read a lot of threads though and decided to post my rifle and range report.

I have been gathering parts for about a year and decided to use a Stiller Predator SA receiver, Accuracy International bottom metal with detachable magazine, Bartlein 5R stainless barrel, Jewell trigger group, Stocky's laminate thumbhole with the Bobby Hart aluminum bedding block and a Nightforce NXS 3.5X15X50 zero stop with Velocity reticle. This is chambered in .308 Win

I was lined up to have Mike Bryant build the rifle, but after waiting for the parts I had ordered to come in and get ready to ship to Mike, he had retired in the meantime. Mike was very helpful in directing me in buying parts and he referred me to Jon Beanland to build the gun. So after about 5 months Jon built my gun for me.

Jon bedded the action, threaded, chambered and installed the barrel, and I had him install a muzzle brake. He set the trigger group for about a 2.7# pull...its an awesome feeling to pull that trigger!

A few weeks ago I mounted up the scope, and bore sighted it. Today I was finally able to go shoot it. I have a 300 yard range in my backyard, but with farming I do not get to see it much. Anyhow My first shot was about 6 inches left and a tad high. I walked the crosshairs over to the hole in the target and squeezed off a 3 shot group. 1st two shots touched, and the 3rd was a tad high. The group measured .71

This was at 100 yards, I am using .168 grain federal gold medal match ammo, Sierra HPBT. I was pretty excited that the 1st three shots were like this. I cleaned the gun and then it started drizzling so I was done for the day. Can't wait to get it out again and start longer range practice and checking the scope out.

Here is a couple of pictures I got in before the drizzle.

Attachments

• .308.jpeg
    .308.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Target.jpg
    Target.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 106
Welcome to LRH!!!!!

That's a really nice stick ya got there. You mentioned using Federal Gold Medal Match ammo - do you reload or have plans to? What are your plans for the rifle?

I'm sure you'll get a lot compliments on your build - it's very nice. This is a (generally...) great Community and populated with some very knowledgeable folks.

Very nice rifle! I want a .308 to practice longrange with so I don't burn my 338 LM out so fast.

That's some good shooting too. You could probably get that rifle under half MOA at 100 yds if you decide to reload but that is a good group with factory ammo.

Thanks guys. Yes I plan on reloading, I did some about 20 years ago, but haven't since. I have about 500 rounds of 175 grain FGGM and 500 rounds of 168 FGGM ive collected over a couple of years. Ive been watching for BR2 or GMM primers, powders and such. Do not own any reloading equipment yet, maybe end of the year I will get setup.

Plans for the rifle, I would like to do some match shooting, I am originally from TX, so being new to the area I do not know much about clubs, or ranges. I know of a few around the Buyers area that have 1000yrd ranges. I shoot a 22-250 for coyotes out here, but they are pretty smart and stay out a ways, may try long range with it on the coyotes too. I just like to shoot and have fun.

Very nice!

Sounds like you have a good stash of ammo. If you don't get the accuracy you want with either of those loads, you can try slight adjustments in the seating depth.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.