Batteries/Solar chargers

tt35

School me on battery packs and solar chargers suitable for backpack hunting. Sounds like there may be some new technologies/products out there. What's currently best for the weight?

I currently use an Isound 16000Mah battery pack and I think it is awesome I can usually fully charge my phone 5-6 times. I've had it for 3 years now and it seems like it has lost a little bit of charging power but I have also used it quite a bit usually two 1 week trips into the woods camping and canoeing and quite a few weekends away from power while out ice fishing or while hunting. I've seen some newer ones that have definitely caught my eye for the price and the power of them. The Power core 20100 is the one I'd buy right now if the Isound decided to die today unless I bought another Isound because I dont really have any complaints about it. The only thing I will say about it is it does take a good while to charge that bad boy so don't forget to charge it the night before you leave.

I tried the goal zero and had no luck with them at all. Switched to an actual battery pack.

The newtrent ultra is about 14000 maw ip66 rated quite rugged and water proof worked great charging my iphone , rino and even a sat phone .. and iphone 6plus i got about a good 5 full charges from it . If i charged the garmin or the sat i probably can charge each maybe 2 times .. When recharging the newtrent it never fully charged usually got up to 90% .. Sadly i gave it to my brother thinking i can find another and there no where to be found so I switched to the Limefuel Rugged L150XR 15000 maw.. also rated ip66 and also waterproof to an extent.. I have charged my iphone 6plus 5 times fully with this pack. I have charged my sat phone 3 full charges and garmin 2 times .. I also ran it over with my f150 and it still worked ran it water from the sink faucet for about 1 min and it worked fine .. For an extend hunt i may try to get another one to have two power sources

Newtrent ultra $299.99 amazon
limefuel L150xr $99.99 amazon

There are packs out there with more power storage but not IP66 rated nor waterproof. Don't be mistaken its not gonna be able to function if submerged for a awhile but I have gotten both wet and submerged the limefuel both worked quite well..But I don't expect getting any pack or electronic device wet in the field .... so if your gentle with your gear which Im not. They are plenty of more options.. I just like to know if i drop it off the mountain I can go fetch it and it will work ..Like i said I ran the limefuel over with my truck and it worked got the idea from some guy on youtube..

I use a goal zero with good success. It's fairly heavy/bulky/fragile however. I only take it on a shorter spike camp type hunt where I know I have cell service and it's worth it to have a charged phone. My ballistic programs, and many mapping programs can run off my phone, so if I have service, it's worth it to me. It charges pretty quick, and comes with 4AA and 4AAA rechargeable batteries to charge. But again, it's not real light. But..I also take a kindle to read during the day when things slow down, so I'm not exactly an ultralight kind of guy!

Fellow Rbros rifle owner ... I have a 7mm rem mag built by Travis that shoots flat and lights out ..

When I used the goal zero i had to have it placed perfectly on my pack out in the sun and some times as well all know it gets cloudy or even the rolling fog comes into play and that usually meant my nomad wasn't collecting enough rays to charge ..and makes me being on the Mt solo hard cause my wife gets alittle nervous so I like to give a ring just to let her know Im whole and safe ..With that said on those rough days my goal zero couldnt charge i wished i had a power pack that was the main reason why i switched

NYSHUNTER, I see what you are saying now. I leave my Goal Zero at my camp for the day, and it charges my 4AA. When I get back, I plug my phone into the 4AA battery pack, and charge my phone. I don't actually carry it with me while out hunting, just for the first pack in. I could see how it would be finicky/hard to keep it in the sun charging when clipped to the pack.

And yes, I LOVE my Rbros rifle! My .300 WM launches my 215's at 3,000 fps in to very small groups! Does even better on critters!! Good luck this year!

Thanks for all the input, guys!

So, NYHUNTER, you're just carrying the battery rather than a solar charging panel? I'll potentially be out for nine or ten days on the second bull season here. I think I'm going to need a charging system as well.

I switched from the goal zero.. I trekked around with the panel on my pack and its very hard to make sure it's in direct sunlight I switched to an actual battery pack

Limefuel L150xr 15000maw can charge my iPhone or garmin 5 times completely

I also have the newtrent but it's much heavier

Both are waterproof for up to 3hrs at 3ft deep and crush proof

Howdy from Texas - I'm fixn to go on my first elk hunt in Colorado. Unfortunately, there are 4 - 5 bars of cell coverage on both my phones where I'll be. (as we say down here: "two is one and one is none.") This means I'll be tending to work. It is what it is...

I bought one of those Solar Joos Orange chargers because it has a built in 5400 mAh batteries built in. I also have a 6000 mAh Mophie, too. My plan is to use the Solar to fill up the Mophie and the Joos' own battery, then charge out all my phones and lights. Many of the reviews of the Solar Joos say that it can take a beating and still do its job.

I'll report back....

Howdy from Texas - I'm fixn to go on my first elk hunt in Colorado. Unfortunately, there are 4 - 5 bars of cell coverage on both my phones where I'll be. (as we say down here: "two is one and one is none.") This means I'll be tending to work. It is what it is...

I bought one of those Solar Joos Orange chargers because it has a built in 5400 mAh batteries built in. I also have a 6000 mAh Mophie, too. My plan is to use the Solar to fill up the Mophie and the Joos' own battery, then charge out all my phones and lights. Many of the reviews of the Solar Joos say that it can take a beating and still do its job.

I'll report back....

"Oh sorry work I was wrong about the service in my area, I just couldn't get any work done." I don't think I could get anyoffice work done on the side of a mountain with elk bugling all around. Actually I'm positive about that.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.