solar chargers

This is one time where brand recognition means nothing. It's all the same process, photo voltaic cells converting sunlight into current so might as well get the least expensive unit.

You can pay a lot or pay little. Just look at the output and the adapters included and weight is about the same, weight increases with output put for a phone, a small unit is fine.

I use the Goal Zero system and it is pretty amazing. The only thing I wish is that the panels rolled up to make them smaller.

I picked up the highest AmpHr rated foldable solar charger I could find on eBay. I was a little worried that it might not work but it has done very well. It works on my iPhone and my Delorme in reach. It also seems to be ruggedly built of canvas and even has a pocket to hold your cord. For about $40 it has exceeded my expectations. I'm going to pick up a battery pack to go with it so I can keep it charging at camp during the day.

You might take a look at suntactics as they have really good output solar cells. I find that my suntactics 12 chargers far quicker than any goal zero stuff. Of course that comes with a price.

I posted this a little bit ago;
Going on a 5 day backpack hunt and I will be trying out a portable solar cell phone charger for the first time. I use the phone for some pictures as well as filming thru the spotting scope, I don't care for the phone part as there's no reception anyways. I bought one of these cheapy ones from Ebay for $12 and so far it has powered the Labradar for a short range session and recharged my phone 3 times and it still indicates over 3/4 full. The Labradar is heavy on batteries too. Instructions say to charge and fully discharge it twice but so far I haven't been able to fully discharge it. I don't really have much that charges from a USB cord. I just got it Sunday and leave tonight so not a lot of time to mess with it, pretty sure the 80,000mAh is a bit generous, but for $12 it doesn't seem too bad so far, even better if the solar part works. My girlfriend can go thru a cellphone battery like there's no tomorrow so she's the official tester.
Will give an update when I get back.
Black 80000mAh Dual USB Portable Solar Battery Charger Power Bank for Cell Phone | eBay

On the trip it was used 6 times to recharge dead cell phones and still didn't drop below 50%, then we set it in the sun and it was back to 100% charged in 3 hours. It comes with a cord and 5 or 6 common plug type adapters but they can be a little finicky if not positioned just right. Definitely worth the small investment.

Love my suntactics 12 solar panel. Puts the goal zero stuff to shame. Puts out much more power than the goal zero, but comes at a price.

I bought a cheap solar charger from aliexpress for $25 US and it's been great. It has three small panels that fold out and it can be attached to the outside of my backpack and at the price I paid it doesn't really matter if I break it or lose it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.