Batns tsx on Bears at 500

porkchop401

Signed up for a Spring black bear hunt on the short notice and what I have loaded for my 300wm is 180 tsx, shots are to be max of 500yds but more likely in the 300yd range . any experience is appreciated
I would try others but it is to close to work on loads

Sounds like your set up perfectly for bruins. I've killed bears, elk and deer with 168TTSX/TSX's from my 30-06 and 300Wby. I prefer the monolithics for bears as I usually want to break them down (shoulder shots) opposed to lungs. I can assure you they won't bounce off.

What exactly are your concerns?

When it's this close you run what you brung. It sounds usable,

If you don't mind me asking, which hunt did you sign up for?

I wouldnt be a bit afraid of using that set up. My dad has killed several bears off of our bait set with the 180's the range was only 175 yards but you will have no problem putting one down. and as previous poster said dont be afraid to break some bones

Barnes TSX are pretty stout, and being designed for rapid expansion, shouldn't have a problem with penciling through. I'd be wary of a shoulder shot though. Those shoulders bones are strong. Just personal experience of losing my first bear. 30-06 at 50 yards. Rolled the bear completely over...but then he got up and ran a few miles. Learned two things, use premium bullets, and don't shoot the shoulder. A 300 win mag and TSX bullets should be more than up to any shot, but I'd still choose a heart/lung shot if it presented itself.

Here's a sweet anatomy guide, tailored for archery, but it's always fun to study anatomy.

Happy hunting! Looking forward to heading out in the fall for bear myself.

For bear whenever I can I try for the heart/ lungs AND the off side shoulder. If necessary. What ever I hunt bear with has no problem shooting THRU the bear. And X, XLC, TSX, and TTSX all have an awesome record of working on bear.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.