Bartlein GAP 6 vs RV barrel

Blkz06

I'm trying to decide between a Bartlein GAP # 6 and Bartlein Rem Varmint contour.

I have 2 customs..one with a M24 contour and the other with the Gap #6 contour (finishes at .900 at 24"). I like the look, weight and balance of the GAP #6 barrel as I mostly tower hunt and long range hunt. The weight comes in around 11 pounds with scope with the gap barrel.

I've started a new build and my builder has Bartlein Rem Varmit contours in stock so my build time decreases significantly- but the Bartlein RV contour finishes at .830 on a 26" blank. I'm most likely going to go 24" barrel so the finished dia should be around .840-.850

Builder says there won't be any difference accuracy wise or visually. Weight should be a bit less..maybe 1/2 pound.

The RV contour looks a bit skinnier in the pics I've dug up vs my Gap #6 so of course I'm a bit hesitant to go with the RV contour.

Just wondering if anyone has a longer range rifle with a Bartlein RV contour or a contour in that .850 range that could weigh in.

Thanks.

I'm trying to decide between a Bartlein GAP # 6 and Bartlein Rem Varmint contour.

I have 2 customs..one with a M24 contour and the other with the Gap #6 contour (finishes at .900 at 24"). I like the look, weight and balance of the GAP #6 barrel as I mostly tower hunt and long range hunt. The weight comes in around 11 pounds with scope with the gap barrel.

I've started a new build and my builder has Bartlein Rem Varmit contours in stock so my build time decreases significantly- but the Bartlein RV contour finishes at .830 on a 26" blank. I'm most likely going to go 24" barrel so the finished dia should be around .840-.850

Builder says there won't be any difference accuracy wise or visually. Weight should be a bit less..maybe 1/2 pound.

The RV contour looks a bit skinnier in the pics I've dug up vs my Gap #6 so of course I'm a bit hesitant to go with the RV contour.

Just wondering if anyone has a longer range rifle with a Bartlein RV contour or a contour in that .850 range that could weigh in.

Thanks.

I have a 28" on my 30/375 S.I. in a Krieger that shoots lights out! I have shot .1's at 100 and shot a 1.18" 3 shot group at 880. Not a Bartlein, but the contour is great IMO.......Rich

I can't think of any reason I'd go heavier than a remington varmint contour on a rifle I intended for hunting. Go as heavy as you want for a play/target rig, but for a hunting rifle there's such a thing as "too much".

You didn't say what caliber it is? Are we talking 6mm or 338? There's a lot of metal around even a .308 so I'd go for it since there is little difference in the taper once cut to 24" and in a hunting gun you wont be even heating up the barrel enough to make any difference in the first place.

Last edited:
You didn't say what caliber it is? Are we talking 6mm or 338? There's a lot of metal around even a .308 so I'd go for it since there is little difference in the taper once cut to 24" and in a hunting gun you wont be even heating up the barrel enough to make any difference in the first place.

280 AI.

Its also about the "look" of the gun. I tend to think think the heavier barrels look much better with the Manners tactical style stocks. Moving up to a .900 barrel vs an .830 barrel is less than a pound.

A hunting rifle is carried much and shot less than a target rifle. I like the Remington Varmint and light for 'heavy' barrelled hunting rifles. Even at Tactical Matches like the Allegheny Sniper Challenge in the mountains of West Virginia a heaver barrel was a PIA.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.