Bartlein #4 contour

Joefrazell

Hey all I have a sendero in 300 win mag that I'm looking to order up a new barrel for. I'm looking at a #4 contour and having it finished at 26" I love my sendero contour but the weight isnt great for hunting. I'm looking at cutting down the weight some. it will be a 8 or 9 twist and will be shooting a 215 berger. Main use is shooting out to 1200 yards but also hunting. Am I giving up too much stiffness by going with a #4? Should I just continue to deal with the weight? I never shoot more then 5 shots without allowing the gun to cool. Thanks

PAshooter20BR

A bartlien #4 is very close to a sendero. #4 = 4.5lbs and a sendero = 4.65lbs. if your sendero is already fluted your gaining zero ground in weight reduction.

pawater

What 20br said. The #4 is longer in the large breech end and finishes a little smaller than Sendero at the muzzle. Weight is as he quoted. Depending on the length and diameter of the scope, the #4 may force you to use higher rings. ATACR's are shorter than NXS's and using a #4 makes it more likely to have to use high rings. Not a big issue if you have an adjustable cheek piece. #3b is still a pretty stout barrel and will start to have some weight savings. (4 #) I have a 28" #13/ Sendero heavy spiral fluted on my RUM shooting 230's. It weighs 10.5 with A3 edge sporter, Defiance UL, NXS with UL rings. My next 300 will have a 3B spiral fluted. The 3b is also .75" longer on the large breech end than the #13.

PAshooter20BR

3B is as light as I would go. It seems to get missed in discussion but when your talking 30 caliber your hole is a lot bigger, u loose a lot of your stiffness with that large bore
Diameter. A 3B in a 6.5 is going to be a lot stiffer than a 3B in a 30 caliber. You could always go with a proof.

Ksduckhntr

I have a 3b finished off at 22" and it's very handy for a hunting rifle. Not whippy at all. If I were to do it over again for a main hunting rifle with range time secondary I would flute the 3b. I don't think you will loose any stiffness going with either the 4 or 3b

jjmp

Choose wisely Joe ,phone calls are cheaper then , barrels Rem heavy bbls shoot good some great but they can't beat a custom bbl like your talking about getting !

Shane Lindsey

Not the same cartridge so take for comparison only.

I put an 8 twist 26” magnum taper on a 270 win and it was a very stiff. Good for 1000 yards anyway. That said if you are looking for saving weight/carry, I would look at the heavy sporter or a similar to the Sendero light that proof offers in an actual all steel barrel. Or go crazy and go with the proof if you got the cash.