Bartlein #4 contour

Joefrazell

Hey all I have a sendero in 300 win mag that I'm looking to order up a new barrel for. I'm looking at a #4 contour and having it finished at 26" I love my sendero contour but the weight isnt great for hunting. I'm looking at cutting down the weight some. it will be a 8 or 9 twist and will be shooting a 215 berger. Main use is shooting out to 1200 yards but also hunting. Am I giving up too much stiffness by going with a #4? Should I just continue to deal with the weight? I never shoot more then 5 shots without allowing the gun to cool. Thanks

A bartlien #4 is very close to a sendero. #4 = 4.5lbs and a sendero = 4.65lbs. if your sendero is already fluted your gaining zero ground in weight reduction.

What 20br said. The #4 is longer in the large breech end and finishes a little smaller than Sendero at the muzzle. Weight is as he quoted. Depending on the length and diameter of the scope, the #4 may force you to use higher rings. ATACR's are shorter than NXS's and using a #4 makes it more likely to have to use high rings. Not a big issue if you have an adjustable cheek piece. #3b is still a pretty stout barrel and will start to have some weight savings. (4 #) I have a 28" #13/ Sendero heavy spiral fluted on my RUM shooting 230's. It weighs 10.5 with A3 edge sporter, Defiance UL, NXS with UL rings. My next 300 will have a 3B spiral fluted. The 3b is also .75" longer on the large breech end than the #13.

3B is as light as I would go. It seems to get missed in discussion but when your talking 30 caliber your hole is a lot bigger, u loose a lot of your stiffness with that large bore
Diameter. A 3B in a 6.5 is going to be a lot stiffer than a 3B in a 30 caliber. You could always go with a proof.

I have a 3b finished off at 22" and it's very handy for a hunting rifle. Not whippy at all. If I were to do it over again for a main hunting rifle with range time secondary I would flute the 3b. I don't think you will loose any stiffness going with either the 4 or 3b

Choose wisely Joe ,phone calls are cheaper then , barrels Rem heavy bbls shoot good some great but they can't beat a custom bbl like your talking about getting !

Not the same cartridge so take for comparison only.

I put an 8 twist 26" magnum taper on a 270 win and it was a very stiff. Good for 1000 yards anyway. That said if you are looking for saving weight/carry, I would look at the heavy sporter or a similar to the Sendero light that proof offers in an actual all steel barrel. Or go crazy and go with the proof if you got the cash.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.