Barrels for Barrel burning Cartridges

Melonite seems to be mentioned here sometimes, but I haven't yet heard anyone's account of round count to end of barrel life.

I'm not sure if this is because we're not getting feed back or if these guys just cant seem to burn up a qpq barrel. ??

Many of the folks who visit this site probably get a lot more trigger time than I do. That said, the first 6mm/223 (6 x 45) that I built for myself lasted for just under 2800rds. It was not Melonited. I was shooting 80g Blitz over Win. 748 ball powder. I use my bore scope to check my cleaning. At 500rds I was starting to see slight evidence of fire cracking (SS bbl.). It just got worse from there. The 6mm X 45 that I'm shooting now, that has been treated, has just over 750rds through it and I see no evidence of cracking/wear. I shoot the 6mmAI (6mm Rem. Ackley Improved) more than any of my other rifles. Velocity averages 3130fps. with a load of RL22 under a 107g SMK. I have just over 1100rds through the tube with no visible cracking but can see the beginnings of wear in the throat, especially at the end of the chamber/beginning of the throat. I'm sure every barrel will be a little different. It'll depend on the load, how hot you get the barrel, the same factors that effect wear in an untreated barrel. I have positive feed-back from my customers who have had me send their new barrel off for treatment. The only negative I've received was from a guy who I built a 300UM for who was having trouble working up a load. He finally found one. Might have been because he was insisting on using a 125g-130g bullet. As for cleaning, the barrel needs to be 'new'. I fire 2-3 rounds so I can check the brass, clean it 'squeeky' clean, no carbon, no jacket material, and send it off. I clean the barrel after treatment with hot, soapy water and a bronze brush. I just mix up a 2 1/2gal bucket with scalding hot water and dish soap and have at it, just like I'd clean a muzzle loader with a hooked breach. Scrub and patch out 'till I see no visible residue on the patch. Lightly lub the bore and exterior,,,, lightly lub the threads and install on the action. You can find more info by using the 'search' feature on this forum and on accurateshooter.

Thanks Shortgrass ,
Is your 6AI treated?
I love mine but I'm running 105vld at 3350 fps with Rl26 in a 26" bbl, I am wondering how may I could expect in an untreated SS bbl. ( I keep it cool). I only have 600 round count, this includes FF rounds.
If you can, Try to let me know when you've reached the rebarrel point. ( I know thats hard to remember).
Thanks.

I have /do use QPQ coatings on the outside of parts and was just wondering How much does it cost to have a barrel done and does it void the barrel makers warranty considering the temperature range of the process? (997 to 1157o C).

Thanks

J E CUSTOM

Melonite/Black Nitride could only be considered a "coating" if you consider bluing to be a "coating". As both processes penetrate the substrate ofthe steel, they are not truely "coatings". Cerracoat is a coating, GunKote is a coating, paint is a coating. I'd suspect that barrel makers would not 'warranty' a barrel after having it treated. The best way to get a price is to call the company doing the treating. MMI won't work for individuals, but H&M Metal Processing and Controlled Thermal Technologies will. Both of those have web site with contact info.

Most of the places that do those services state to shoot 5-10 rounds out of the new barrel, then send it in to have the treatment done.

Since you need to install the barrel, the shoot, then remove and mail it off somewhere, then reinstall it once it returns... the effort is comparable to just ordering another barrel when you burn one out.

That along with the somewhat unknown amount that the treatment increases the round count for barrel life, I don't know. I'm still on the fence. I'm super interested in trying it out, but for now I think I'm still holding off.

But I'm always interested in learning more. Thanks for everyone posting their experience and opinions so far.

My problem with it is that nitriding the surface will usually build it up .0001-.0005" per side depending on the process. Ive seen it on both ends, very little to more than i expected. Most barrel makers assure .0003 uniformity in size and .0005 diametrical tolerance.

If you get a tight barrel and then nitride it, there is the possibility you could get a really tight barrel. This scares me.

The odds of this happening are certainly slim but they are there. Once someone gives me some hard numbers on barrel life it will put the risk/reward into perspective.

I just replaced my 29" lilja with a 32" brux and pressured out 200fps slower. Having this barrel treated could of been a problem.

Most of the places that do those services state to shoot 5-10 rounds out of the new barrel, then send it in to have the treatment done.

Since you need to install the barrel, the shoot, then remove and mail it off somewhere, then reinstall it once it returns... the effort is comparable to just ordering another barrel when you burn one out.

That along with the somewhat unknown amount that the treatment increases the round count for barrel life, I don't know. I'm still on the fence. I'm super interested in trying it out, but for now I think I'm still holding off.

But I'm always interested in learning more. Thanks for everyone posting their experience and opinions so far.

That's why I was asking. with the extra cost and labor plus the fact that as far as I can tell If you want to change or just freshen up the chamber you cant (The Rockwell is 60+on the C scale and a good knife blade needs to be in the range of 57C and a file wont touch it.

Also when you take the barrel warranty away plus the chances of accuracy loss (From what I read)
and don't entirely believe, accuracy is effected on about 50 % of the barrels due to one thing or another.

I have quite a bit of experience with chrome lined barrel and found that they did extended barrel life but gave up accuracy. And like you, I am still not convinced that it is worth the cost and risk.

I will have to depend on guys like shortgrass to advise me on this one.

Just where I'm at on this one

J E CUSTOM

That's why I was asking. with the extra cost and labor plus the fact that as far as I can tell If you want to change or just freshen up the chamber you cant (The Rockwell is 60+on the C scale and a good knife blade needs to be in the range of 57C and a file wont touch it.

Also when you take the barrel warranty away plus the chances of accuracy loss (From what I read)
and don't entirely believe, accuracy is effected on about 50 % of the barrels due to one thing or another.

I have quite a bit of experience with chrome lined barrel and found that they did extended barrel life but gave up accuracy. And like you, I am still not convinced that it is worth the cost and risk.

I will have to depend on guys like shortgrass to advise me on this one.

Just where I'm at on this one

J E CUSTOM

I'm on the fence watching with you.

I brought up the subject at a BR match once, the unanimous response was " if you want to ruin accuracy go ahead and melonite".
I didn't ask any more about it, but I wonder how much of the response was from 1st or 2nd hand info.

I'm on the fence watching with you.

I brought up the subject at a BR match once, the unanimous response was " if you want to ruin accuracy go ahead and melonite".
I didn't ask any more about it, but I wonder how much of the response was from 1st or 2nd hand info.

One other thing that a lot of people don't know is that it is not unusual for bench rest shooters to try 5 to 10 new barrels before they settle on one and some of the barrel makers will support this practice for the good press they will get for super accurate shooting.

I have read that there are bench rest shooters that have melonite barrels, but I wonder how many barrels they had to go through to find a good one.

Still waiting to be convinced. More input needed !!!!

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.