Barrels for Barrel burning Cartridges

That's why I was asking. with the extra cost and labor plus the fact that as far as I can tell If you want to change or just freshen up the chamber you cant (The Rockwell is 60+on the C scale and a good knife blade needs to be in the range of 57C and a file wont touch it.

Also when you take the barrel warranty away plus the chances of accuracy loss (From what I read)
and don't entirely believe, accuracy is effected on about 50 % of the barrels due to one thing or another.

I have quite a bit of experience with chrome lined barrel and found that they did extended barrel life but gave up accuracy. And like you, I am still not convinced that it is worth the cost and risk.

I will have to depend on guys like shortgrass to advise me on this one.

Just where I'm at on this one

J E CUSTOM

Its not impossible to cut through nitriding, it poses challanges but its very do-able.

I just re-worked 40 718 inconel parts that were qpq-ed. Its hard but its super thin, once you get underneath it you never know its there.

Trying to slowly ream through it with a HSS reamer, id imagine you are gonna get some additional wear, but with carbide i dont think it would be a problem.

just a long shot in the dark from my easy chair but, what if you ran a barrel till it started to get rough and then ran a tubbs kit thru it to smooth out the rough spots and then melonite. so you would get say 800 rounds out of the barrel then would the melonite harden the firecracked throat in a sense sealing it? or does it not work that way, like I said I'm not even an easy chair expert on this ( no research done) but I figured I would throw the thought out there.

just a long shot in the dark from my easy chair but, what if you ran a barrel till it started to get rough and then ran a tubbs kit thru it to smooth out the rough spots and then melonite. so you would get say 800 rounds out of the barrel then would the melonite harden the firecracked throat in a sense sealing it? or does it not work that way, like I said I'm not even an easy chair expert on this ( no research done) but I figured I would throw the thought out there.
Doesn't work that way. The edges of any fishers (fire cracks) tend to curling during treatment. When 'curled' they collect fouling. It's either new or not at all. Fire it just enough to remove any rough edges from chambering and have it treated,,,,,,, or not. Look back at one of my previous post that has the list of barrels I've had treated. I'd have not had that many done if I wasn't seeing positive results. I like and shoot varmint rifles and was just looking for a way to keep from setting back/changing out barrels as often as I once was. Now, I don't get to fire as many rounds as I once did (I stay 'tied' to the shop to keep 'um happy). I took the chance with that first $325 barrel and have been pleased with the results. Each will have to decide for themselves as I'm not hear to try to convince anyone. All I can do is relay the results I and my customers have had. To each his own! (foot note; CCT has been the most affordable @ a $60 'batch' fee, 1-4 bbls)

Good thread.
I have some misgivings about taking a resulphurized stainless barrel up to 1800-2000deg F, but Shortgrass's experience and success with the process trumps idle conjecture.

The cost of the process seems very reasonable to me.

The few rifles that I have left are all barrel-burners. See my signature...... Speed kills!

Thanks for taking the time to share, Ted.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.