Barreled action rifle build

Bedding a stock is not rocket science. Neither is installing a barrel with a nut. Build a rifle this way once and see how accurate it can be, and you will think again about paying a smith hundreds of dollars for labor you can do in your spare time.

I have a Remage built on a Stiller action and multiple Savage rebarrels done myself. I'm in the process of doing another Remage on a Remington donor. Thus far, every one I have built is a 1/3MOA gun. The Stiller build was a 338 Edge and I took 3rd in a 2000 yard competition with it.

In your shoes I would ask what you think you are getting from having the smith do the barreled action versus getting a prefit. I have custom rifles, but likely will never get another, because I cannot discern the accuracy difference between them and the prefits I build myself for much less money.

Admittedly I did recently have Kelbly do a barreled action for my F-class competition rifle. But fractions matter there, and more importantly, nobody makes a prefit for a Panda action with a 1.25" straight contour barrel.. Any other application, I'm screwing the barrel on myself.

I think I have found a problem...
I just read on another forum that the Big Horn Recoil lug will not work in a Manners Mini Chassis. The location on the action is in the wrong area. But Big Horn says that the action has the same foot print as a 700 Remmy. Anyone have any info on this?

I think I have found a problem...
I just read on another forum that the Big Horn Recoil lug will not work in a Manners Mini Chassis. The location on the action is in the wrong area. But Big Horn says that the action has the same foot print as a 700 Remmy. Anyone have any info on this?

BHA is correct, I have a BHA SR2 LA and is compatible with R700 stocks. However, when in doubt call Manners directly.

BHA is correct, I have a BHA SR2 LA and is compatible with R700 stocks. However, when in doubt call Manners directly.

I just sent Manners and Big Horn both an Email. I hope it works. Making these decisions has been a long road for me and I do not want to alter my plan lol.

Are you ordering your manners specifically for a bighorn or just a rem 700?

I was under the impression that a 700 inlet would work. I have not heard back from Big Horn or Manners yet. I will let everyone know what I find out.

Over at another fourm a gentleman said that he had to machine a new "slot" in the chassis for the lug.

Good news from Big Horn!

Matt,

I confirmed with manners this morning, there is no issues with the SR3 in a mini chassis. I would recommend a medium or trim tang for the best blend with that stock.

Aaron Tritsch
Product Manager
ZAI / Bighorn Arms
402-782-2884
www.bighornarms.com

I don't think you can go wrong with PVA, or a Bighorn action. The cool thing about it is that if PVA puts a shouldered barrel on a Bighorn TL3 for you, the info will be on file and you can call him up and order another barrel without sending the action in. You can do barrel swaps yourself without having to use a barrel nut. Just call him up and order another barrel for your action's serial #.

I just want to let everyone know how amazing Big Horn has been to deal with. These guys are great, specifically a gentleman named Aaron. They have answered many questions and given lots of advice. If your looking for people that go the extra mile this is them.

Might want to consider a Remage build. I have built a couple of them, and it was pretty easy. I bought a brand new stainless Remington Action (you could get something better if you wanted to), bought a criterion barrel with a remington thread and a barrel nut, prechambered to my caliber (6.5 CM) and I borrowed go / no go gauges (you can also rent them. and a vice and savage barrel wrench and the whole assembly was less than 20 min. I installed the timney trigger that I caught on sale. Rifle shoot very well (1/2 to 3/4 MOA) without bedding the stock. I still need to do that, and expect that it will yield tighter groups. Very satisfying.

I bought a Remington 783 doner gun in 308 and did a Criterion barrel as well. Made it into a 6.5x47. Finding parts and putting it together is a hoot and shooting it is even funner. With doner gun, stock, barrel, bottom metal, scope, base, rings, bipod, butt pack, sling, bolt lift knob, I guess I might have $2100 into it. Ha, ha, adding it up, it's more than I thought. I kept the original trigger as it's decent and adjustable but it's no Timney or Jewel (which they don't make anyway). It shoots pretty darn well and I tried a new load the other day and shot a 5-shot group @ 98 yards, .231" but for most accuracy loads it's closer to 1/2". Lapua brass lasts forever. I'm gonna wear this thing out!

Prefits are just fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.