Barrel Length

What barrel length would be the best on a 308 a.r. and still kill at a 1000 yards?

All though the 308 was designed for shorter barrels for long range shooting a 26 to 28'' barrel
will be nessary to achieve maximum velocity especally with heavy bullets.

The AR becomes awkward with much over 26" but 26''s of barrel would be my minimum length
for your purpose.

J E CUSTOM

308 will burn gas that long? I was thinking 24inch. Any idea what kind of velocity you have at 1000 with a 168gr boat tail from a 26inch?

Depending on the load I used My hottest load with a 168 gr SMK was just over 2800 ft/sec
in a 27.5" barrel. this was a match rifle and was used for 200,300,600,900,1000 and 1100
yard matches.

The gain from 24" to 26" is not as much as 20 to 22'' but it is enough to make a difference
@ 1000 yards.

Rifles with 22 and 24'' barrels were 150 to 250 ft/sec slower than the 27.5" barrel using the 168s.

My 1000 yard velocity was just over 1400 ft/sec with a tough load.

I am not sure how much barrel would be needed before the 308 had no velocity gain but
there is a point of diminishing returns and 28'' seems to be near that point.

Also different barrels of the same length may vary some in velocity (Some are faster than
others) So what you have to decide is what length will best fit your needs and then live with
the velocity you can get.

As long as it stays above subsonic you should be OK. 26 to 28" barrels should do that at 1000+
yards.

J E CUSTOM

So with a 26 inch barrel can you still run a mid length gas system? Or does it give you paracitic loss as far as velocity? I want to run a short hand guard. Like carbine length.

So with a 26 inch barrel can you still run a mid length gas system? Or does it give you paracitic loss as far as velocity? I want to run a short hand guard. Like carbine length.
You want to do all this in a 308 Armilite rifle? I dont think you can get a 26" ar barrel with a mid length gas system. You could have it made but any sensable person would try to talk you out of it. It going to look ver silly with a carbine length handguard(7") and a 26" barrel. I would not go more than 20" my self

Well I want it to look like a little Barrett 50. Probably stupid I know but the price of 50 cal and the glorious state I live in I can't have one. I like my ar 15 a lot but I want a bigger round that can reach out there.

Talk to armalite and see if they can put you one together or look at a adjustable gas block.

There is bound to be a way you can get what you want.

One more option is to buy a Remington R 25 In 7/08 or 308 complete. It would not have a
custom barrel but they can be made to shoot with some good reloads.

J E CUSTOM

Similar to this but with 6 to 8 more inches of barrel and a nice fat brake.

Attachments

• 9138ccd9.jpg
    9138ccd9.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 95
Similar to this but with 6 to 8 more inches of barrel and a nice fat brake.
Ok Steve I see what you mean, thats a rifle length handguard 12". I think the first thing you should do is start searching the net for a barrel maker that will give you what you want. Then either do as JE said and buy a rifle or build your own with parts from Mega machine.

I still think it would look a lot better with a 20" barrel and maybe a supressor. Can you have them in CA?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.