Barrel Cooling During Load/Group Development

Looks like you have a heat induced stress problem. I would run a longer string to make sure...6 - 10 shots. No letting it cool. Run em. Then you will know. If you do, you have only two options.

1 Send the tube off to be chryogenically treated.

2 Shoot it as a two shot gun and live with it.

Here is a question I have been wondering about and would like some of your guys advice...

When someone talks about having their rifle shoot sub minute groups, are most guys shooting 3-4 shot groups one shot after the other, or are they allowing for barrel cooling between shots? Seems like I can usually put the first two shots right where they need to be, then about the third shot I will get a flier. To clarify a little more, I'm not talking about the flier being 6 inches out of the group, but pushing out to 2 inches or so at 100 yards. If I take time between shots to allow the barrel to cool, I get much better groups, sub MOA.

I have a good experience with reloading and have played with different powders, powder charges, seating depth, etc. But I am no master by any means...

Any opinions welcomed, what do you guys think?

I had the same question a few weeks ago. The conclusion I was given is let barrel cool about 3 minutes between shots in a group/string (this should be between 3-5 shots). Then let the barrel cool 15 minutes between strings, Same thing if you are doing an OCW/ladder test round robin style with say 5 different powder charges which totals 15 shots (3 shot groups) then I would shoot each shot...3 minutes apart then wait 15 minutes before starting the next string of the round robin. Once you find a load you like...I would confirm it is a good HUNTING load by shooting 2 shots rapid fire. If they group well you are done. This will allow you a first shot, plus a back-up shot if needed. Now if this is a LONG LONG range rifle 500+ yards, you may need several sighting shots...then you will need a rifle that can group 3-5 shots in pretty rapid succession which is why people gravitate towards a varmint/bull barrel set-up.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.