barrel cleaning

trb0

What do most of you do as to how often you clean your barrel? I have a model 70 with a 26 inch select match shilen in 6.5/.284 that I normally clean after every 10 -12 shots with 15 being the maximum having ever been fired before cleaning.It has about 400 rounds through it and cleans very easy with little in the way of copper buildup.Just want to know if I'm on the right track or if I could get away with cleaning it less without damage to the barrel. Thanks trb0

Chances are you could cut down on the cleaning. A quality barrel typically fouls less than cheap tubes. Next time out shoot till the accuracy falls off. If that takes 65 rounds then clean after every 50 to 60 shots. Your not going to hurt your barrel by cleaning less. But on the same token you won't be stopping every 15 rounds to clean, so watch out for barrel heat during shot strings.

I agree with Cowboy, you are running a risk of damaging your bore or crown by over-cleaning. This would only be a worst case scenario, most doubtful that you are or have hurting anything, just increasing the risk of doing so.

I would sincerely doubt that your barrel needs cleaning until 40 or more rounds. We fired 39 rounds through my 6.5-284 yesterday and one of the last three shot groups went inside 0.3". Seems to me that the higher the velocity the more cleaning is required. Load reasonably and your less likely to build up copper fouling if your bore is a good one. I like to keep track of how many patches I use during a cleaning job, how much blue I see if any. Prefer to minimize bronze brushing to about 6-8 strokes and clean the bristles after each use.

Best is to develope a cleaning routine that works for you. If cleaning after 15 shots makes you feel good, then what the heck. I have barrels that keep shooting nicely with 80+ rounds through them, some that need cleaning every 40. Some pickup almost no copper, some need special attention to get all the copper out. Had a barrel that shot terrible after I thoroughly cleaned it - until about a dozen rounds, needed to foul it good for it to shoot.

I have been using TM Solution. Sure is doing a fine job on my rifles - only need one solution which makes life simpler. Available from Sinclair Int.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.