barrel bedding block challenges

wildcat westerner

Hello,

We are moving forward with the rifle in 338 Win mag with a 33 inch- 1 1/2" diameter barrel. The barrel bedding block is arriving today in unfinished form. It is nine inches long to provide control for this 13 pound barrel with fluting. A relief will be cut into the barrel so the exterior of the heavy wall tubing will only be 1/8" totally larger than the barrel to fit in the prone stock to which fibreglass has been added for width and depth. I figure at a balance point the barrel in front of the long bedding block will still be 24 inches for free floating. The block will be a "glue in" to the stock.

I have two questions. What size of screws do we use? The tube itself is heavy walled and 1 5/8" in diameter. I am assuming seven screws on each side to really anchor this barrelled action. The barrel, relieved to fit the bedding block, will still be a full one inch thick at its 9 inch anchoring point. 2nd question- balancing point. I am "ad libbing" where the barrel will be relieved to anchor it to the very stiff stock that five inches have been added to the forestock.. Assuming the Kelby tactical action will be located in its place where the stock is bedded for a similar Remington long action, is the placement of this barrel bedding block that critical to any sort of balance in this rifle? It will be strictly a prone and bench weapon, of course. To complicate things, since the action is inlet for a magazine and so is the stock, we shall have a magazine in this weapon.
So, can we "free float" the magazine box so it will work properly? I have already realized we shall be shimming and tapping the screw mounting holes in the stock so the floor plate can be attached to the stock itself, and still wish to achieve the action being free floated. Are there practical answers to having a barrel bedding blocked rifle with a free floating action that has a functioning magazine? I have had free floated, heavy barreled actioned rifles in the past, but they were all single shots.
Thanks in advanced for any experienced replies in this matter.

WW