Barometric Pressure? Altitude?

OK, I take back everything I just said. Finally after weeks of emailing Caldwell's customer support (4 times now), they just responded to me. They said the Station Pressure is just an estimate. The only 2 things the meter actually measures are wind speed and temperature.

Ironic that I noticed the verbiage on their Amazon add also changed within the last week and they took some of their marketing claims down. But if you go to their actual website they still make all of the false claims.

So let me ask you guys this. If I set my Altitude to 0ft and I'm driving down the road and go up a large hill the Station Pressure definitely changes like you expect it to. If I go down a hill then the station pressure changes the opposite way just like you expect. How is it doing that if it's not actually measuring pressure?

Most pocket weather stations have an 'offset' field for pressure. If it's set to 0.00, it should always give you real time pressure.

Most pocket weather stations have an 'offset' field for pressure. If it's set to 0.00, it should always give you real time pressure.

Thanks.

I sort of regret getting this Caldwell device. But every review stated something like "Does everything a Kestrel will do but cheaper", so I thought I would give it a try.

I really need to stop buying crap because it seems like a good deal. With firearms related stuff, I can't remember a time that has ever worked out like I thought it would. **** my humble beginnings that always forces me to try the cheap equipment! I can't seem to help myself sometimes...

I use the Caldwell. Think it is a very good value. Think you made a smart choice. I like having the ability to mount it on a small tripod and turn it 90 degrees to the rifle barrel. It gives very accurate wind readings that way and I never have to think about off angle winds too much. It is also very accurate with temp and station pressure. I measures station pressure as I have cross referenced it with my Leica 1600B several times. They give virtually identical station pressure readings.

My personal experience was my first wind meter a Caldwell failed within 30 days. Glad yours is still working and relax my opinion is just that my opinion. I can have one and so can you.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.