Barometric Pressure

barnesuser28

hey i was curious as to what you guys are using to figure your barometric pressure when hunting.
Thanks

I live and hunt on my ranch which is at 3700 feet elevation. I build all my drop charts using the elevation of 5500 feet which covers from the barnyard to the top which is 6500 feet.

If I go down to the Seven Devils I adjust the drop chart for the additional elevation. Works for me.

I use a Kestrel 3500. Going from "average" drop charts to a weather station and PDA is a real eye opener. Opens whole new levels of long range precision. Even in ND, with no elevation changes in the state, pressure changes enough to move point of impact over a minute at 1k, daily.

Kestrel 3500, the more accurate information you use for each shot lets you learn more from each shot which in turn allows you more precision and more range. Take every variable out till it's just you and the wind!!gun)

i already have a wind meter and i want to buy something that will give me barometric pressure but dont want to spend $100 on it. any suggestions as to what to get?

I also use the kestrel 3500, but last year I bought a lacross watch feom cabelas for about 60 bucks that matches my kestrel every time. Now I use this to monitor changes throughout the day. After lots of days in the field I can count on this to give md good info. The kestrel also reads humidity and temp. The watch will read temp only if u take it off

A quick easy and cheap way I've found is call the nearest airport. The majority of airports (even the small ones) have a weather station that will give up to the minute weather (time reading was measured, wind direction and speed temp dewpoint then barometric pressure. provided you have cell phone service.
-The easiest way go to airnav.com
-Click airports and search by city state or the 4 letter identifier such as klax or kjfk
-Scroll down to frequencies and find the AWOS ASOS or ATIS. It'll give a radio frequency then a phone number under it.
-Save it in your phone and when your ready to shoot call it up and a computerized voice will tell you all the info you need.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.