Barnes VOR-TX Expansion

Redhawk

Recently I decided I'd get some 225 grain Barnes VOR-TX in .338 Win Mag to use on bear, elk, mule deer, and moose. But after informing a fellow hunter I know of my descesion while shooting the breeze, he informed me that while my ammo choice would work well on bear, moose, and elk, he said that that bullet choice in that caliber and weight may not expand properly on mule deer and do to that may not always give me a satisfactory kill. I told him his claim was entirely unfounded. But since I have nothing to do tonight, I thought I would bother you guys anyway. So what do you guys think? Is his claim entirely unfounded, or is there some truth to what he is saying?

Recently I decided I'd get some 225 grain Barnes VOR-TX in .338 Win Mag to use on bear, elk, mule deer, and moose. But after informing a fellow hunter I know of my descesion while shooting the breeze, he informed me that while my ammo choice would work well on bear, moose, and elk, he said that that bullet choice in that caliber and weight may not expand properly on mule deer and do to that may not always give me a satisfactory kill. I told him his claim was entirely unfounded. But since I have nothing to do tonight, I thought I would bother you guys anyway. So what do you guys think? Is his claim entirely unfounded, or is there some truth to what he is saying?

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

If it works for elk, it'll definite work for mule deer. Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement!lightbulb

I have killed 6 mule deer with the 100 gr Barnes TSX out of a 25-06. None of them ever moved but a few steps before falling over dead. I think you will be just fine with a 225 gr Barnes on the animals that you mentioned.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.