Barnes TSX New Rang Report

Wookie316

Looking for opinions & experiences here in the reloading aspect of things.

What are you finding, do they like to run hot? Or do they like something more in the middle?

As for seating, just off the lands, or do they group better with a bit of a jump start?

The main reason I'm asking is I have a 22-250 24" 1-14 twist.

Now if you check out the Barnes manual Stickied here:

http://www.barnesbullets.com/C.../22-250Remington.pdf

It shows all the load data is tested with a 1-14 twist, BUT recommends a 1-12 twist for 53gr XXX bullets at the top of the page. These are what I am trying to shoot.

Am I wasting time & ammo trying to get 53gr XXX to shoot in this thing?

To date I've tried 36.5gr Varget 210M Win Brass 53gr XXX just off lands & resulted in a 4" group.

40gr Blitzkings & 50gr Nosler BT both group in the 1/2-3/4 inch range (5 shot).

Powders at my disposal currently that will work in a 22-250 are RL15, Varget, Benchmark, IMR4350,

I also have Win LR primers too.

Open to suggestions

Thanks.

I will also mention I owned another 22-250 1-14 twist that was only 22". It shot the old 53gr X & 60gr partitions Awesome.

Last edited:
Re: Barnes XXX

My Remington 22-250 VLS with a 1 in 14 will not shoot the Barnes 53 gr pill. Shoots the Nosler 55 gr NBT better than anything else, but not the 53 gr Barnes. Like you 4" groups with all powders.

I've only used 160 grain Barnes TSX's in a 7mm rem mag . the bullets like to jump . my best was .050 - .060 jump . it also seemed to like being fast . here are instructions that were packaged with the TSX's when I was using them . hope this helps . Jim

info.jpg

Just baecause they are both 53 grains means nothing. With the solid copper slugs it is an issue of LENGTH! Barnes recommends a faster twist for the 53gr, and has a 45gr for the 1-14 twist tubes.

I would suggest H-414/ Win 760 with the 53 in the 22 250 I shoot them from time to time in my swift and have found them to be quirky. I finally got really good groups with 4831 speed is pretty good but nothing of note if you shoot a 22-250 or swift wit 40-55 grain bullets. Perhaps crimping them at one of the grooves might smooth things out with the powders you now have and give you better results.

Three of us tried them out of 22-250's and a 223 and they would group very poor or start tumbling by 100yds, we were kinda wondering what was wrong till I looked at the web site and say they need a faster twist. Other 50-55 gr bullets work just fine.

Well I went to the range to do some more testing. I had 2 different loads I tried. The first was with the same charge of Varget but at a COL of 2.360.

They once again were all over the page :(

The other load was a Benchmark load.

Rem Case, 210M, 34gr Benchmark, 53 TSX @ COL 2.360. This is looking much better

_JAY5097.jpg

I will have to measure to see exactly how far off the lands I am, but I believe I am over the 30-70 thousandths suggested range by Barnes.

The FPS was from 3644 LOW - 3672 HIGH.

It does look like it may be promising though.

Much happier this time. :)

Last edited:
My 22-250 likes to be clean before shooting Barnes. Even if you never shot Barnes before, the copper in the barrel will cause anamolies. Have you tried 380 the original 22-250 powder? Benchmark looks promising. Hang in there til you get it where you want it.

my $.02

My 22-250 likes to be clean before shooting Barnes. Even if you never shot Barnes before, the copper in the barrel will cause anamolies. Have you tried 380 the original 22-250 powder? Benchmark looks promising. Hang in there til you get it where you want it.

my $.02

Don't have any 380 & the barrel was freshly cleaned also. I think a bit of play with seating depth & charge should fix it right up.

Im a little late but Ive been loading the 53 gr TSX in my Rem 788 22-250 for the last few years. I use 34 grains of Varget , Win WLR primers, Win brass trimmed to 1.902, and COAL of 2.9". I get around .75 moa out of it. It has taken several whitetail without a loss all complete pass through and quarter size exit wounds. My son shot a 115# spike this last week at ten feet. Perfect heart shot. The deer acted like he hadn't been shot but piled up at thirty yards, quarter size exit and blood everywhere. I would not hesitate to shoot a whitetail with it at reasonable ranges. Bullet placement is everything. Just my opinion and first hand observations. Hope it helps.

Good Shooting!

I had some of the same problems when I began loading tsx's for my .223. I found benchmark to be an excellent powder. The bullets liked a medium hot load and i managed a .085 group @ 100 by kissing the lands. A word of advice though, clean your barrel as these shells will foul your barrel quickly. Clean clean clean and when you think it's clean, hit it again or you'll produce those 4" flier groups all day.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.