Ballistics - The Beginning

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
I just saw a show on the beginning of Battleships from the early 1900s.
We as long range shooters should be in AWE from what BALLISTICS was learned in the early 1900s.
Early Battle Ships could shoot a projectiles the weight of a modern vehicle 20,000 yrds AND HIT!
They had to calculate the movement/position of the firing ship to the distance of the target ship and also that position/movement. They had to calculate the Distance, Spindrift, Humidity, Wind, Barometric Pressure, Coriolis and then velocity of the 2,000 lb projectile to hit at 20,000 yds. There were no computers back then!

Now today we can shoot a .338" 300 gr bullet to 2,000 yards with the help of advanced computing power in LabRadar, Kestrel, Range Finders.

Information from years gone by from Battle Ships helps us shoot today.

Last edited:
A long time ago I had a conversation with a WW2 Veteran. He was drafted in spite of being over the maximum age. He was a college math professor, and was assigned as a human calculator to one of the ships.

He spoke of the grief incurred when marines called for support close to their positions, and the tragedy of near misses. Also calling for strikes ON their position as they were over run. They would be informed of that fact, and would reply it didn't matter as they were likely dead either way.

Impressive is what can be done with a 1st shot, and not all those walked into mark.
It's rarely considered among hype..
When I was in Quantico, VA going through some shooting training in the Corps (early 70s) we didn't have a Kestrel Range finder, LabRadar.
We had our DOPE Book was given some info for the ammo and had to judge the wind (by enviroment) , angle (drop with a plumb bob or inclinometer, range (looking through the scope reticle and objects). everything was mentally calculated for a "HIT".
Ask Butter Bean!!