Ballistic impact long range

Retusmce7

Here is the Situation . 300RUM with Leupold scope hitting less than 1MOA at 200 yards. Sighted in a 10 power. I have ballistic charts for up to 1000 yards.

Here is the question:
If you sight in at 10 power and in a hunting situation say 700 yards you increase the magnification to say 20 will that throw off the internal mechanics of the scope and blow the shot

short answer is no, depending on what kind of a scope you are using, you may have parallax issues but barring that, crank her up.

If you are dialing in your adjustments, no everything should be good. If you are using some type of combination of dialing plus reticule hold, then yes, unless you are using a FFP scope.

Just something to try, and I'd suggest doing it with all scopes just to be sure and for the peace of mind.

Shoot it at a clean target and then increase the scopes power and shoot again. I try it at 2 or 3 different ranges of the scopes power to make sure the poi doesn't change with scope power changes.

When you're done you will know for sure what your scope does when you change power settings. Any quality scope should not change poi with changes in scope power settings.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.