Ballistic computers on the hunt

Long Dog

What is everyone using for ballistic computers on the hunt (PDAs)? I have an old Palm with a Horus Vision chip that I really like the software. The problem I am having with the Palm is there is not a back up/hold up battery in the device, so if the AAAs run dead due to the cold or whatever, I lose all my ballistic data. This is not good when you are trying to make a shot on a critter at great range (trust me - I lived that nightmare). I always keep a range card in my stock pack, however the Ballistic PDA is very nice to have to get the finite data using the existing environmentals.

So the real question is, what is everyone using for PDAs and what PDA has a hold up battery so I don't keep experiencing this problem.

gun)

I have used a Dell AximX 50 V for years with exbal. But recently I have been using a Motorola Droid X phone and the "Shooter" app. It really works well for me.

When I used the Dell pda I also installed a SD card and chose the "save to SD" in the set up. This way even if the batts went dead, all data was saved to the card. This also makes it easy to switch the card to a backup pda if needed. I feel this is a very affordable way to go. Look on e-bay and the Axims are cheap. Also extra batts for about $7 lightbulb

Hope this helps.

Jeff

I have a Palm Lifedrive I plan to install some software on soon. Is exball the best or is there a cheaper version that will work on the lifedrive?

I am with you Broz I have the Dell Axim x30. I put everything on the sd card so I can keep the data when the battery dies. As far as price I pick mine up used for $68 with a tin hard cover from amazon. I also decided to get a couple extra battery to take with me. Whatever you get make sure you can use a chip of some type to store data. As for the program I went with exbal I have only used it for a day with two different guns but it was spot on with the adjustment out to 800yds.
Hope this helps

I will relook the functions on my PDA. I may not be saving the data correctly. If not, I will get a dell axiom and give that a go.
Thanks for the assist.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.