Bait Stations and wind direction (Stand hunting)

Stix

G'day all.

Got a bit of a technical question for setting up bait stations for attracting pigs. I use "Pig pipes" filled with fermenting corn and have pretty good success from them, sometimes drop a few kangaroo carcasses nearby as well. I normally set and forget these stations, come back for a morning/afternoon hunt and check them out as I go.

I always approach the pipes from down wind obviously.

I've got a hunt planned and wanted to try a bit of "stand" hunting on these stations.

My question is, if I know that pigs are X area of "thick stuff" should I setup the station up or down wind of known pig locations and I should I sit up or down wind of the bait station?

My guess is to put the bait down wind and myself down wind of the bait, that would make the most sense but how the hell is going to attract pigs if the scent is going that way?

Any advice on this style of hunting would be greatly appreciated

Stix

Have you ever considered setting up cross wind with the wind running at right angles to your position. At long ranges a cross wind stand has its advantages and if it favors the downwind direction it can work even better.

Unless you are smack dab in the center of likely cover you should have an idea of where the pigs 'should' approach from. I have almost no experience hunting them, so don't know much about their sniffer.

Since the bait site needs to be established a while, I'd try to have two stand locations, or be portable, where you can take advantage of wind on the day in question.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.