Wind drift, drops and muzzleloader bullets

Ian M

Spent an enjoyable day obtaining actual drops and wind drift for some muzzleloader bullets. Three bullet weights, three distances, two propellant charges - trying to shoot in a full value 10mph wind condition.
Best group of the day was three shots into 3.0" at 300 yards, we were tickled.
Lots of drift and drop into, but no way near finished. Stink like pryodex but had a good day, eh.

I took a 200 yard shot with my .45 cal muzzleloader. According to knights ballistic tables it should drop 10.8" @ 200 yards. Well I put the crosshairs right on the deer's back abouve the vitals and missed clean...there was almost no wind.
I was shooting real tight groups @ 100 too!

I use the 195 grain barnes expander with 100 grains (2 50g pellets) of pyrodex.

Any opinions?

I've found the biggest thing to be in the bullets!! Ishoot a 45 cal 1-18 twist,34 inch barrel.If i use any sabot i can't hit a thing past 200,with 150g fff.They fly off like boomerangs.I have to cut the powder way back to get a group.I called the bullet people and they said their bullets were not made to go that far,that fast.So i use 385 buffalos with a veg patch,and 150 g fff.Maybee the old(non hollow points)would do better.The 45-70 is 45cal 70g black powder and a 500 g round nose.The other i noticed for error is the seating of the bullet,i saw a press with a scale on it to better that problem.Great fun to shoot tho.

OK come on Ian, I too would like to see the ballistic's Of your experiments. Your not holding out on us are ya? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just give us the meat and potatoe's version, you know, every scrap of info you got. Don't be selfish now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Come on play nice and share.

You can't just tell us you did something and then not give us the details. Can ya? LOLOLO

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts