Badlands - this is stupid. Anybody else had this happen??

If all you need to do is increase stem tip depth to accommodate all bullets, I would think cost would be less for that compared to another setup specifically for a certain ogive.
Are the ogives the same between VLD's/ secant designs compared to tangent ogives?

Good points. Mine are bedded Wilsons so I can't compare them.

You can drill out a stem, partially fill with 2-part J-B Kwik, seat a release lubricated bullet tip, and let set (10mins).
Keep in mind that there is a reason for stem contact low on the nose (below half way). Build this to do the same.
Followup with a small bit just to ensure that there will be no tip contact with reasonable seating force (even for a bedded stem).
This is necessary because ogive radius and lengths vary.

I understand that some will go through the process of drilling and using epoxy to create a seating stem for a specific bullet profile. I just have better things to do with my time and probably would screw up the base stem in the process. Just order a VLD stem and test fit the bullet prior to seating. It cost a few bucks, but in the grand scheme of what we spend in reloading, it is trivial.

I understand that some will go through the process of drilling and using epoxy to create a seating stem for a specific bullet profile. I just have better things to do with my time and probably would screw up the base stem in the process. Just order a VLD stem and test fit the bullet prior to seating. It cost a few bucks, but in the grand scheme of what we spend in reloading, it is trivial.
Yep! The one I pictured in #18 is an $18.80 solution/alternative.

This is one of those issues which really isn't an issue. VLD type ogive profiles have been around for a long time as have polymer tips. Those were the first bullets along with SMK that had issues with standard seating stems. Most people will use traditional "hunting" bullets which don't need a vld type stem. If you should today's modern "long range" bullets you'll need to either modify your existing stem which isn't hard to do, or buy a vld stem. That's been covered since post #2.

Been doing load development for a new custom 280 AI. After using some other bullets decided to give the Badlands 140 gr Bulldozer a try. Charged some cases with selected powder and upon seating the very first bullet - the aluminum tip pulls out of the bullet and is stuck in my seating die. Can't get it out so now my seating die is useless. Ridiculous. Fairly new basic RCBS dies. What a way to start!! Not looking good for using Badlands
Send to RCBS, get the proper shape punch for those tips.