Badlands - this is stupid. Anybody else had this happen??

Well that's annoying. Can you just pull them out and use like an HP?
Sorry, I do not know if you are joking/being sarcastic, but that sounds counterintuitive. I guess we have different ways of troubleshooting the problem; blame the bullet design or the dies' seating stem. I chose the latter as a more suitable solution, as the die's current configuration is not designed to handle the longer, sleeker bullet design. As noted in #2, seating stem in my .264 WM Hornady bottoms out with the 135 BD2, but I ordered an $18.80 seating stem for it to resolve the issue. Cheers!

Well that's annoying. Can you just pull them out and use like an HP?
I suppose you could but the meplat would be large. The longer ogive is fundamental to obtaining the BC. Like I have stated before the problem is nonexistent in those who use Forster or Whidden seating dies or if you get your machinist or gunsmith who has a chucker lathe to widen the clearance in the seater stem by drilling out a 0.150" wide channel in the seating stem to give the stem portion of the ogive more clearance.

Yup need a vld stem or lap your current one. Used the wrong tool for the job. I had the issues using standard stems for all types of bullets. One size doesn't fit all. Yeah I'd see pulling out the polymer tip as a huge step back. Might as well shoot a low bc bullet short range.

ADDED: These are .26 cal bullets for comparison only.

View attachment 383268

L-R
130 Scirocco II
135 BD2
140 Berger VLD

As you can see, the BD2 is very long, and a conventional seating stem might not work (bottom out). I just tried the 135 BD2, and it bottoms out in my .264 WM Hornady seating stem. So, I would need a seating stem to accommodate the longer and sleeker bullet.
I ordered a seating stem for A-Tip bullets (135/153g) to correct the issue.

Hornady ATip seating stem .264 WM.jpg

As you can see to the left (seating stem that came with the die), the 135 BD2 is bottomed-out compared to the right (A-Tip seating stem).

Been doing load development for a new custom 280 AI. After using some other bullets decided to give the Badlands 140 gr Bulldozer a try. Charged some cases with selected powder and upon seating the very first bullet - the aluminum tip pulls out of the bullet and is stuck in my seating die. Can't get it out so now my seating die is useless. Ridiculous. Fairly new basic RCBS dies. What a way to start!! Not looking good for using Badlands
Any update?

Any update?
The reason for this problem is the clearance between the tip and the seating stem. I use Forster seating dies and have never run into this problem because the Forster stem is a single tube precisely ground and chamfered to touch the bullet below the tip on the copper portion of the bullet. RCBS AND Redding have an ogival shape in the seating stem, and if that shape does not fit the ogive of the bullet the tip is touched. A VLD stem for those dies can be obtained, or have your gun smith drill out the seating stem with a drill that is a few thousands wider than the tip diameter

The reason for this problem is the clearance between the tip and the seating stem. I use Forster seating dies and have never run into this problem because the Forster stem is a single tube precisely ground and chamfered to touch the bullet below the tip on the copper portion of the bullet. RCBS AND Redding have an ogival shape in the seating stem, and if that shape does not fit the ogive of the bullet the tip is touched. A VLD stem for those dies can be obtained, or have your gun smith drill out the seating stem with a drill that is a few thousands wider than the tip diameter.
I fully understand (see #s 2, 6, 15, and 18); I was checking up on the OP to see if he has resolved his issue.

Last edited:
Been doing load development for a new custom 280 AI. After using some other bullets decided to give the Badlands 140 gr Bulldozer a try. Charged some cases with selected powder and upon seating the very first bullet - the aluminum tip pulls out of the bullet and is stuck in my seating die. Can't get it out so now my seating die is useless. Ridiculous. Fairly new basic RCBS dies. What a way to start!! Not looking good for using Badlands

The Missus have a hot glue gun? If not, they're inexpensive (as anything else is these days) at a big box store.

Fire one up. Pull the stem out of your die while the gun is heating. Put a drop of WD-40 or light oil on a bullet tip, or shoe polish from a tin / Johnson's paste wax. Oil or wax, buff it with a paper towel.

When the gun is hot, squeeze a dollop of glue into the seating stem, press the bullet into it (by hand) and rotate the stem on the bullet - you want the glue to stick to the stem, not the bullet.

If the glue squeezes out around the bullet, NBD. Pull the bullet straight out of the stem. You should be left with a custom seating stem which fits your bullet. Trim any glue which extends past the mouth of the stem with a single edged blade or hobby knife or, if it doesn't interfere with the stem's fit in the die, leave it be.

Reassemble the die and adjust it as necessary: The glue you've added will seat the bullet a little deeper into the case. Back off the die until it just touches a round with this bullet seated to your desired depth.

Proceed. Remember to unplug the glue gun, else it'll sit there cooking the glue stick til you find it (or the missus wants it), days / weeks from now. AMHIK.

Quick-set epoxy works too. Oil or wax the bullet you use to form your modified die with it, also.

You shouldn't have to lube the bullets you seat - they won't stick, unless you're having to Hulk-seat bullets into the case.

Not looking good for using Badlands
This is not a bullet problem.
I don't understand why every seating die made today does not already come with deep enough stems -by default.
After all, it does not hurt anything.

Grab a bit ~3/4 diameter of existing hole, and drill the stem for tip clearance.

This is not a bullet problem.
I don't understand why every seating die made today does not already come with deep enough stems -by default.
After all, it does not hurt anything.

Grab a bit ~3/4 diameter of existing hole, and drill the stem for tip clearance.
Cost. Most would never need a vld stem. Those that do can make their own or would be will to purchase one.

Cost. Most would never need a vld stem. Those that do can make their own or would be will to purchase one.
If all you need to do is increase stem tip depth to accommodate all bullets, I would think cost would be less for that compared to another setup specifically for a certain ogive.