Badlands Precision Bullets thread - From BC to terminal ballistics

Using up my last of my BD1's this year and the performance had been great this year! I have BD2's but haven't done load development on them yet as I had the BD1's left over.
Didn't get all the terminal performance on all the deer but got some.
Entrance
879EF0C8-DD34-4B27-9E35-8A8384A3DF45.jpeg
Exit
7CC61580-8A98-49CA-9ADA-18267CBD792A.jpeg
Entrance
342CBDA5-AC2B-43BF-9CD1-C3BE8C9A2EF8.jpeg
Exit
B7695354-A6D5-43B6-B155-E681C0FC7749.jpeg
All deer but one dropped. The one that didn't drop was a little far back behind the shoulder.

Last edited:
The pictures posted do show great performances on game there is no question about that. To clarify though, I was asking about the technical performance of the bullet itself. What I mean is how does it function once game is hit. Does it act like a Barnes? A Hammer bullet? A traditional bonded bullet? A Berger? Etc.

And I am glad to hear that it has been easy to load for you. Does it follow traditional load data for Barnes or other monos of the same weight or is there a noticeable difference between them? And any tips on reloading these you'd like to share like seating depth or to crimp or not, etc?

Also, anyone who has some load developments for a 338wm that would like to share would be a true friend. :)
I have a 330 Dakota and several 338 LMs but no 338 WM. Never was oartial to belted cases for reloading, but that's just me. I can give you some suggestions for 338WM loads though following the method I use to develop loads for new bullets we design. This info will be for a 200 gr BD2 with a G1BC=0.595. From the 2011 Hodgdon Annual Manual there are 2 extreme powders, H4350 and H4831, that show very good temp stability. Start out at 72 gr of H4831with the bullet 0.020" off the lands and for H4350 start with 67 gr, again 0.020" off the lands. Take one shot with each load and inspect the brass for signs of pressure. Then increase the charge by 1 gr until you start to see early signs of pressure then back off by a grain or so and and do a 2 shot shot groups ladder test by seating the bullet deeper in by 0.010" increments until you reach a two shot group that is the tightest and shoots to your point of aim at 100 or 200 yds. A third powder not listed is StaBall6.5. H100v though is listed, and it is slightly faster burning than StaBall6.5 which means you could start off with 67 gr of StaBall6.5. It is a temp stable ball powder and yields usually excellent speeds. Use virgin brass for this phase of your powder discovery.

Using up my last of my DB1's this year and the performance had been great this year! I have DB ll's but haven't done load development on them yet as I had the DB l's left over.
Didn't get all the terminal performance on all the deer but got some.
Entrance
View attachment 411501
Exit
View attachment 411500
Entrance
View attachment 411503
Exit
View attachment 411502
All deer but one dropped. The one that didn't drop was a little far back behind the shoulder.
Did you mean BD1 and BD2?

Did you mean BD1 and BD2?
Yes, your first generation bullets with the double reliefs cut into it.
This thread is Badlands Precision Bullets thread Bc's to terminal performance and not line specific to your first generation or your second generation bullets I don't believe, correct?

Yeah, I think he was just clarifying the bullet acronym spellings. Your post #799 had them as "DB1" and "DB2" as opposed to "BD1" and "BD2". He didn't want folks confusing it for "Dead Beats" (or worse) vs "Bull Dozers" 😁😉 No biggy. We all know our fingers get crossed sometimes... At least mine do.

Yeah, I think he was just clarifying the bullet acronym spellings. Your post #799 had them as "DB1" and "DB2" as opposed to "BD1" and "BD2". He didn't want folks confusing it for "Dead Beats" (or worse) vs "Bull Dozers" 😁😉 No biggy. We all know our fingers get crossed sometimes... At least mine do.
Oops. I fix! Thanks, didn't relize I did that!

Yes, your first generation bullets with the double reliefs cut into it.
This thread is Badlands Precision Bullets thread Bc's to terminal performance and not line specific to your first generation or your second generation bullets I don't believe, correct?
that is correct. The BD2 line have enhanced BCs and an improved easier to open hollow point so the effective range is enhanced to make them true long range hunting bullets with effective distances of 775-1000 yds at sea level and longer at higher altitudes.

that is correct. The BD2 line have enhanced BCs and an improved easier to open hollow point so the effective range is enhanced to make them true long range hunting bullets with effective distances of 775-1000 yds at sea level and longer at higher altitudes.
Yeah, I've talked to you on the phone about the the BD2's and have some but figured the way reloading components are and probably real close to the end of my barrel life I'll wait to do load development on them I think. Waisted enough on the stupid nosler ablr's.
If I need I'll call and get 50 more BD1's and 100 or more more BD2's for when I want to do load development on them.
I did find a aluminum tip in the first deer again…..pretty awesome bullets in my opinion. Yeah sure they're not as explosive as a cup and core but if your shot placement is good, there should be no issue whatsoever!

Well, this is getting redundant, but two more cow elk down with the 140 SBDII out of a .270 Sherman, start velocity of 3240, elevation around 8,000 ft.

One taken at 40 yards, hit behind the shoulder in the crease, high shoulder, upper section of lungs. Took off running with the herd, made it maybe 100 yards and hit the dirt (snow, actually...) and was dead. Full pass through, secondary wounds from petals. Don't have pics of this one, they were running out of light and needed to get elk packed out.

Second one taken at 390 yards a few moments later, another cow from the same herd, in the rush the shooter hit a bit back in the liver, the cow ran about 40 yards and went down, but had it's head lifted up. Another shot was then put through it's head, finishing the job. Full pass through, one petal exited as well, and can be seen to the side of the main exit, which was about quarter size. Considering not the greatest hit, the fact that the large cow traveled so little distance before going down is good. Pics below.

signal-2022-11-20-11-04-01-712.jpg
signal-2022-11-27-02-05-53-342.jpg

I believe this makes 7 elk we have taken with this bullet from 40 yards to 700, with very little drama. Not to bad for a little 140 grain .277 bullet. Also, more pronghorn than I can remember, and quite a few mulies too.

Well, this is getting redundant, but two more cow elk down with the 140 SBDII out of a .270 Sherman, start velocity of 3240, elevation around 8,000 ft.

One taken at 40 yards, hit behind the shoulder in the crease, high shoulder, upper section of lungs. Took off running with the herd, made it maybe 100 yards and hit the dirt (snow, actually...) and was dead. Full pass through, secondary wounds from petals. Don't have pics of this one, they were running out of light and needed to get elk packed out.

Second one taken at 390 yards a few moments later, another cow from the same herd, in the rush the shooter hit a bit back in the liver, the cow ran about 40 yards and went down, but had it's head lifted up. Another shot was then put through it's head, finishing the job. Full pass through, one petal exited as well, and can be seen to the side of the main exit, which was about quarter size. Considering not the greatest hit, the fact that the large cow traveled so little distance before going down is good. Pics below.

View attachment 412895View attachment 412896

I believe this makes 7 elk we have taken with this bullet from 40 yards to 700, with very little drama. Not to bad for a little 140 grain .277 bullet. Also, more pronghorn than I can remember, and quite a few mulies too.
That is quite a record! A bullet through the liver in an expanded state is quite lethal in that internal exsanguination is quite rapid. Liver blood flow is quite high and it bleeds into the abdominal cavity with no internal pressure to slow the rate of blood loss.

That is quite a record! A bullet through the liver in an expanded state is quite lethal in that internal exsanguination is quite rapid. Liver blood flow is quite high and it bleeds into the abdominal cavity with no internal pressure to slow the rate of blood loss.

Exsanguination. I had to look that one up.

Yep if it rips thru that main portal vein trunk at the liver, BP will drop like a rock in just a couple seconds and whatever will face plant. Elk Bear Human makes no difference.

It contains the blood supply from the entire stomach, intestines, pancreas, and spleen. It's a HUGE blood vessel you can put your finger into, between a dime and nickle in diameter.

Does anybody have any data for 6.5-284 NORMA? Preferably with the 135 but I'd still be happy with something for the 125 as well