Badlands Precision Bullets thread - From BC to terminal ballistics

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question but I figured I'd ask.
Has anyone gone from the 1st generation of the bulldozers to the 2nd with no load work up? Did anyone see much difference in the load from one to the other, even the seating depth?

@nralifer what is the difference between the two other than one less "band" cut into the bullet and I think you told me a different copper alloy on the 2nd generation?

Has anyone gone from the 1st generation of the bulldozers to the 2nd with no load work up? Did anyone see much difference in the load from one to the other, even the seating depth?

@nralifer what is the difference between the two other than one less "band" cut into the bullet and I think you told me a different copper alloy on the 2nd generation?
I don't remember who it was on here, but they couldn't get the SBII to shoot with the same load they developed with the 1. They called Badlands and they made them some 1s.

I haven't seen much difference. I do most of the testing using my 308W and the 300WSM. Seating depth is still around 0.020-0.025" For the 308 I use Leverevolution and StaBall 6.5 in the WSM.

It is a different story when the bullet arrives at 1700 fps from full muzzle velocity. The barrel twist was not specified. The bullet under these conditions is spinning almost 1.75x as fast (approximately 93,000 more RPM) and is actually what happens in a hunting situation. The increased rotational velocity ejects the tip sooner. This Elk was taken with a 300WM at 1225 yds with a muzzle velocity of 2980 fps. Impact velocity was estimated at 1760 fps
Yep, the faster spin will definitely open things up faster. Those gel tests are a good example of what tricks can be played to affect certain results (though I'm sure the tester meant well). Real world hunting scenarios show different results.

Just pm'd
@IHFarmer07, if you hear back on this, let us know. I'd be interested in sending him other toys to play with if he's still up for it.

Yep, the faster spin will definitely open things up faster. Those gel tests are a good example of what tricks can be played to affect certain results (though I'm sure the tester meant well). Real world hunting scenarios show different results.

@IHFarmer07, if you hear back on this, let us know. I'd be interested in sending him other toys to play with if he's still up for it.
It never hurts to over stabilize a bit at least with copper bullets

Pming has been hit or miss, I'm sure James is very busy, so it may take some time. I will keep this thread informed!

@nralifer, if a person wanted you to make the 1st gen bullets, will you use the updated copper alloy that you use in the 2nd gen or will you use the original copper alloy you used for the 1st gen? Do you have an expansion comparison between the 1st and 2nd generation?

Pming has been hit or miss, I'm sure James is very busy, so it may take some time. I will keep this thread informed!

@nralifer, if a person wanted you to make the 1st gen bullets, will you use the updated copper alloy that you use in the 2nd gen or will you use the original copper alloy you used for the 1st gen? Do you have an expansion comparison between the 1st and 2nd generation?
It is the same copper alloy for both. The expansion of the SBD2 is better on the low end. What is important is pay attention to the recommended twist rates, because these will impart enough spin on the bullet to assure it stay stable throughout its entire flight and hit nose first without excessive precession so that it will expand appropriately. When we do low speed testing I use tighter twist barrels than recommended. We have in field evidence of an Elk kill at 1225 yds with the 195 gr 308SBD-2 bullet impacting at 1760 fps and dropping the Elk in its tracts. I also have evidence of a competitors long range hunting bullet of .375 caliber hitting an Aoudad at 950 yds 6 times in the shoulder from a 375 Enabelr and the animal not dropping after the first 5 hits and still needed to be put out with a pistol. They all apparently penciled through.

I have to use my 1st gen bullets up this years deer season so I can't give James any of those. So if anyone has some, pm him with those.