Badlands Precision Bullets thread - From BC to terminal ballistics

22" @Gstew1930 what velocity are you getting with N560? Barrel length? I might mess around quick load and see if I can push it a grain or two more… 55.5 gr H4350 was the max load listed by Barnes for their 150gr bullets so I stopped there, but I'm sure that's with bullets loaded to SAAMI OAL. Pressure was there with light ejector marks but it wasn't severe, primers weren't even really flattening.
You should be able to exceed Barnes data unless you have a "tight" bore. Start pressures should be significantly higher on Barnes vs Badlands. I use the same start pressure for Badlands that I do for Hammer absolutes.

22" @Gstew1930 what velocity are you getting with N560? Barrel length? I might mess around quick load and see if I can push it a grain or two more… 55.5 gr H4350 was the max load listed by Barnes for their 150gr bullets so I stopped there, but I'm sure that's with bullets loaded to SAAMI OAL. Pressure was there with light ejector marks but it wasn't severe, primers weren't even really flattening.
I got up to 3k before I started to hit pressure. 20" barrel. I'm going to test it some more when I get my barrel back from the smith. He's adding some freebore

I've been working on load development for my 25-06 with 22" 1:10" twist barrel using the Badlands Precision .257" 95gr. Bulldozer-2. I started out using IMR 4350 and Winchester LR primers and was able to get ~1MOA groups at 100 yards. I did several ladders and a depth seating test loading up to a charge weight of around 53.5gr which produced just shy of 3300fps in my rifle. This was 50fps above conventional load data for a 100gr bullet and 24" barrel so I was happy. However, I really wanted tighter groups. My ES and SD for that load was pretty poor at ES:60+ and SD:30+ so I knew I had more work to do. Yesterday I decided to do more ladder testing and find the pressure limit. I also decided to switch to Federal 210 primers as I just got 500 more. I started the ladder at 52.5 grains and went up to 56.5gr in 0.5gr increments. I ended up finding my first signs of pressure @ 56.0gr @ 3499fps with light bolt stick. Going one further @ 56.5gr I reached 3551fps and stopped there as there was moderate bolt stick. I am going to back down to 55.5gr of IMR 4350 @ 3434fps and see how the groups look there as that load gives me terminal ballistics @ 600 yards of 2445fps and 1261ft*lbs @ 8000 feet elevation. That is 200fps over conventional load data. I am impressed. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that the switch to Federal 210 primers gives me a substantial accuracy improvement as I have had excellent luck with them in my other loads.

Once I get my 1944 Mauser Model 98 back from the gunsmith I am going to start working on a 270win load using the Badlands .277 128gr BD2. Everyone's data and photos on this thread has me very excited and I can't wait to see how these BD2's perform for me this year on critters.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that the switch to Federal 210 primers gives me a substantial accuracy improvement as I have had excellent luck with them in my other loads.
Let us know how it turns out? I've got a 25 WSM with a 10-twist barrel. Might try the same bullet...

Ya it came together pretty easy for me. I did a seating depth test, every .015" from .005 out to .105" off, and there was only a very slight variance, all were acceptable, shot best for me at .050" off though. In talking with George, the owner, he said most people end up from .020 to .030 off. I honestly think accuracy would have been acceptable anywhere as far as seating goes. Shooting around 1" at 300 yards for me.

For comparison, I loaded up the 285 Hammers in this same gun, and as far as finding accuracy, The Badlands were just as easy. Went with these because of the .407 or so BC vs the .355 for the 285 Hammers, and I was topped out around 2785 with the hammers, and got up to 2875 or so with the Badlands.
Even if the bc was the same that added speed makes bid difference

Let us know how it turns out? I've got a 25 WSM with a 10-twist barrel. Might try the same bullet...
I decided to do an experiment and I went through what brand new Winchester brass I have left and hand selected 4 pieces by weight. I then loaded 4 rounds with 95gr BD2 and 55.5gr of IMR 4350. This produced an average muzzle velocity of 3448fps and a 0.85MOA group at 100 yards, but my ES and SD are still bad at 69 and 25 respectively.
I numbered each piece of brass and took lots of measurements throughout the loading process. I'm going to repeat the test using the exact same brass and see how all the numbers change hoping that I see some correlation between the velocity outliers in the group. I don't currently have any tools for measuring concentricity or neck turning, but am considering the investment as it seems my brass is my problem here.

While I patiently wait for Nosler 25-06 brass to become available again I might go ahead and start working on a 270 Win load with the 128gr BD2's. I do have Nosler brass for that cartridge so hopefully that loading process goes more smoothly for me than the 25-06 has.

Yesterday I loaded up some 205g SBD-2's to try in my 30 Sherman magnum. My barrel is a benchmark #4, 9T, finished at 26". Badlands say an 8.5T is needed to stabilize this bullet. Environment at my range yesterday was 40 degrees, Elev 4473 and a 10-15 mph wind from 10:30 from the shooting bench. We have 2 ranges for rifles, the longer one does not have a 100 yard target but has one at 135 yards. Lava field contours causes this.

My rifle has a BTO touching the lands of 2.965 giving me a COL of 3.843. My my Wyatt's box max COL is 3.700. I loaded the 205's at 2.822. My jump is big .143 but that is what I had to work with without single feeding. I used N570, starting at 82.5g and worked up to 84.5g. I did not get any pressure signs and the bolt lift was easy. The brass is ADG on the 6th firing with 215 primers.

I am stopping at the 84.5g load as it gives me plenty of range if this load is stable, at my range, to 1145 yards. I hunt at much higher elevations. Interesting was JBM ballistics saying my SG was 1.36 at this velocity and altitude. I am only off by a half twist but my stability is marginal according to the program, Berger was similar.

The reason it was interesting was the fact I was running the 160g SBD-2 in my 7SS yesterday as well. I was testing their claimed BC. The 160g .284 SBD-2 says a 7 twist is needed and my barrel is an 8T. Running the stability program I get and SG of 1.51 with a MV of 2993. I did dial the drop for the 539 yard targets at the range and that worked as it should have. I will load more up of this bullet to test at 1059 and 1145.

Lastly, I really appreciate the information this thread has generated and the time people have put into. Thank you. Sorry for the long post. Once I get some harvests with these bullets I will add more.

Attachments

• 20220221_082158.jpg
    20220221_082158.jpg
    945.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 20220220_123500.jpg
    20220220_123500.jpg
    849.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
One item I forgot. My 7 SS did not like a big jump like the 30 Sherman. The 7 SS ended up liking the .030 jump for accuracy. Either the Sherman or the 205 SBD-2 is very forgiving. I can shoot the 250 A-tips and 245 Bergers with a big jump so I am leaning towards the Sherman being forgiving. I will call George tomorrow and see if he can enlighten me on my twist situation. I will also load some rounds at .020 to .030 off the lands to see how they perform even though they are beyond my mag length. Powder charge will remain constant.

One item I forgot. My 7 SS did not like a big jump like the 30 Sherman. The 7 SS ended up liking the .030 jump for accuracy. Either the Sherman or the 205 SBD-2 is very forgiving. I can shoot the 250 A-tips and 245 Bergers with a big jump so I am leaning towards the Sherman being forgiving. I will call George tomorrow and see if he can enlighten me on my twist situation. I will also load some rounds at .020 to .030 off the lands to see how they perform even though they are beyond my mag length. Powder charge will remain constant.

See my seating depth test maybe a couple of pages back with the 135's in 6.5 Max. Mine loved 15 off.

^Thanks, similar here with a 9 twist RUM and thinking of trying the 205's. I will order some.
Punching a round hole in paper does not mean it will perform on game once it impacts. The higher twist rate ensures the bullet will keep going straight and expand as it is designed to do instead of penciling thru or tumbling.

^Maybe have to make up some jello blocks! Badlands said 1700 fps for expansion, but I have read that higher twist rates do help. Would be cool to try blocks at 250, 500, 750.