Badlands OX or Cabela's Instinct Extreme Frame Pack?

Popapi

Which pack and why, or recommend one.......will be hunting Alaska next season and need a good pack for carrying out meat, carrying rifle etc. This will be my first pack in and hunt in Alaska. Looking for lightweight, durability, and good cubic inch pack! Thanks in advance.

Bought an ox an elk hunt, took it back before deer season. It squeaks and creeks when u walk. Get a kelty cache hauler frame

Don't get either. Barneys pack frame from Barneys Sports Chalet in Anchorage or Kifaru duplex frame. There's a reason most guides use a Barneys for packing meat. If you are looking for a complete pack system and to carry meat, look at the Stone Glaciers.

Randy

Last edited:
That barnys frame just looks like an overpriced kelty cache hauler. I wouldn't know much about what guides use, I have never hired one. I am sure the Kifaru is superior to anything else on the market, they have excellent products. I have never purchased their products because there is no way for me to get my hands on any of it without just ordering it. I'd like to see it in person before buying.
I will say I wish kifaru made a frame with a shelf and an overhead frame to make it more versatile. I am guessing that with that duplex frame you must debone everything before hauling it out. I do not see how you can keep a hind quarter from sliding down or shifting around

The new Kifaru Nomad is the ultimate hunting pack IMO.

[ame=http://vimeo.com/82616477]Nomad Loading Part 3 on Vimeo[/ame]

I have used a Kifaru Spike Camp as my day pack for the past 13 years and it has yet to fail. Silent and will carry as much as I can handle. I have packed out caribou in a unit that requires you to bring out the bones and elk with it as far as 4.5 miles. I can only imagine what the Nomad will be like.

IMO neither bag for an AK hunt. Look at Stone Glacier, Kifaru or Barneys. I have family in AK and many guides swear by the Barneys. I would also take a look at Kuiu and Nimrod. A huge determining factor would be what you are hunting and how and how long you are going to be out. ALso check out rokslide.com all kinds of info on there!

E Wa Hunter

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.