Backyard Bucky - DANG!

I am having a hard time letting this guy go another year. I know I should butttttt.View attachment 217667View attachment 217668

These might not be the same buck in these pictures. Look at the brow tines - the buck in the bottom pictures has shorter brow tines, and an extra one on his right side. Their main frames look the same, but not the brow tines. Also, in your other pictures later in this post, it looks like the buck has more mass than the buck with the extra brow tine. Look them over with that in mind, and see if you are seeing what I'm seeing. You may have a pair of commanders on your property.

this is one of my backyard bucks

Attachments

• IMG_8175.JPG
    IMG_8175.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 192
These might not be the same buck in these pictures. Look at the brow tines - the buck in the bottom pictures has shorter brow tines, and an extra one on his right side. Their main frames look the same, but not the brow tines. Also, in your other pictures later in this post, it looks like the buck has more mass than the buck with the extra brow tine. Look them over with that in mind, and see if you are seeing what I'm seeing. You may have a pair of commanders on your property.

I believe you're exactly right....I also don't believe in letting the neighbor's hunting habits dictate my hunting habits...I believe age and not antlers should dictate harvest decisions...just me...different for my children (when they were children!)

Muddy boots, I'm from Michigan too and we're I'm at that deer will not walk past any hunter around me without being shot at. I confess, I'm one of them. 30 years of hunting and nothing like that around my cameras or stands.

I bet if y'all started letting deer walk, pretty soon y'all would start seeing deer like that...

Not sure what to think.....Last year my neighbor and I agreed to let a 10 pt go for another year so he could put on some mass. While that plan seemed prudent at the time, not everyone including the Buck, got the memo. The last trail cam picture we had was November 5th 2019. In the spring of 2020 we found out what happened to him. Another guy shot him over 2 miles away on November 7th. We had no idea he was traveling that far but it was peak rut at that time. The other hunter thought he was a monster buck and certainly didn't hesitate to drop him.

Parks and wildilfe put antler restrictions on bucks here years back and in alot of areas all good bucks have been killed out and the basket rack turd bucks have done all the breading and that is all they have now. Little to no chance at a good deer . The ranch we hunt on is MLD and we get to choose the ones taken out and now see more 150 tp 170 deer than baskets. Cull bucks are taken at 3 or 4 years and trophy deer are taken at 5 or older most times 6yrs and this is a low fence property. I realize this cannot not be done on small properties to this extent but a similiar version has helped on my 25 acre home property but with the help of neighbors

tough decision on your part, because some one else may kill a deer prematurely is that a good enough reason for you too. I use to think so but dont think that way any longer just do what is right for you
Choot-um!

Muddyboots, Don't take this the wrong way, but I believe I read that you "might shake an arrow off the rest." There's your problem. You are too close to the deer. Move back about 250 yards and he won't look so big. I know it will be a long shot, but if you start practicing right now, who knows?
Just kidding. I have put my bow aside and now hunt with handguns. LongRangHunting is sort of subjective. It is very satisfying to reach out and touch one with my 7 mag., but I also like sneaking up on the little rascals with a handgun. There is still something for me about the smell of gunpowder in the air. I hope YOUR son gets him. Good luck.

nicholasjohn: Great catch! I posted up the wrong pic of another buck that is here. He isn't quite as big and a year younger. I didn't even noticed that I grabbed wrong pic! Good eyeballs!! There are actually three bucks traveling together with two being a year younger than the bigger one and the bodies sure show it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.