AZ Coues deer-6.5 Creedmore and Hammers

I work with 16 engineers that sound just like you, you can call it what ever you want but an 85 grain pill@ 3400fps in a Needmoor is blistering
1635971658081.png

(I also have a degree in English and worked for years as a professional technical writer and editor, even taught college writing--as also I have taught beginning-graduate statistics and data science. The habits of using numbers and words with comparable precision are not at all mutually exclusive.)

That muzzle velocity is not "very" fast in any reasonable sense, especially not in the statistical sense of muzzle velocities possible for 6.5-caliber 85-grain bullets. It's middle of the pack. Slow is around 3,000 fps, "very" fast is around 4,000 fps. You could call it "very" fast if you were talking about muzzle velocities regardless of caliber or bullet weight. That's not very precise talk.

Suit yourself ButterBean. I think you just don't like me. I can live with that. : )

Ah! Perhaps you all would be kind enough to substitute 'killing quickly' or 'harvesting quickly' for 'ethical', when you read my previous posts. Meanwhile, I'll edit away the word (but not the idea).

Hey, I thought it was the gun-fearing liberals who were afraid to speak openly about ideas?
Just in case you forgot

Unless you are a paid Sponsor you may not do anything on the site designed primarily to promote your own business.

You may not link to any commercial non-Sponsor website in your signature. You may not include the name of any non-Sponsor business in your Username, Signature or in your Public Profile including the Home Page found there. This rule applies whether or not you are the owner of the business. You may not have a User Name that promotes your business (Bill's Accurate Guns). You may not post a message that is for the purpose of promoting your business with either text or pictures. Non-Sponsors may post replies of a helpful nature that involve topics related to their trade or type of business in response to requests for such general information from other members. Non-Sponsor forum members engaged in a profit making enterprise who receive a direct request for their services or products in a thread may post "PM Sent" or "email sent" and the conduct their business off line.
Sponsors are allowed to post anywhere in the forums.
This board was created for the expressed purpose of discussing the methods, equipment and techniques of Long Range Hunting without the burden of discussing or debating ethics. Although we all individually have ethics and limitations on what we consider correct WE DO NOT discuss nor will we tolerate discussions of ethics on this site. We are here to learn and share methods, techniques and equipment ideas.
This is a privately owned site developed to foster discussions about Long Range Hunting between like minded hunters.
  1. We do not discuss ethics. To do so will result in the post or posts being edited or deleted.
  2. Public personal attacks between board members will not be tolerated. Fight via e-mail if you wish but not in public.
  3. Troublesome individuals (trolls) or members that appear to be fostering arguments or disagreement will be dealt with in various manners from permanent removal to censorship.
  4. Foul language serves no purpose here and is not appreciated; This applies to inappropriate pictures as well. They will not be allowed.
  5. Racist remarks will not be tolerated.
  6. Posts that are in obvious violation of the law will not be tolerated and the offending member will be reported to the proper authorities.
  7. There will be no threads started for the purpose of airing your problems with companies or individuals you have done business with. (Complaint Threads) Handle those issues privately. This rule applies whether the complaint is against a LRH Sponsor or not.
  8. No posts of a religious nature.
  9. Politics Of Hunting And Guns can be discussed but not General Politics
Rules are subject to change to meet the needs and desires of the members and owner. In classifieds, do not complain about pricing or promote other similar items found elsewhere. Submission Policy. By contributing or submitting content in the form of forum postings, photographs, or any other content, you automatically grant (or warrant that the owner of such rights has expressly granted) us an irrevocable, royalty-free, transferable and worldwide right and license to use, copy, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and sell and distribute such materials or incorporate such materials into any form, medium or technology without compensation to you. None of the materials shall be subject to any obligation of confidence on the part of LONG RANGE HUNTING, LLC. Do not submit or post anything on the LONG RANGE HUNTING, LLC website unless you understand and agree that LONG RANGE HUNTING, LLC will own what you submit. Specifically, all content or submissions (collectively "Submissions") shall be deemed, and shall remain, the property of LONG RANGE HUNTING, LLC and you hereby assign all rights in the Submissions to us.

My comment about the Creed is about folks having an almost religious devotion to the caliber, to the point that they begin to think of it as a "blistering" fast caliber.
You can dance around it anyway you like, But it seems you are pointing fingers at the wrong congregation. Seems any religious fanaticism associated with the cartridge comes from the side with a weird spiritual devotion to it's demise. Totally nonsensical to the point it is comical.

View attachment 308769

(I also have a degree in English and worked for years as a professional technical writer and editor, even taught college writing--as also I have taught beginning-graduate statistics and data science. Using numbers and words with comparable precision are not at all mutually exclusive.)

That muzzle velocity not "very" fast in any reasonable sense, especially not in the statistical sense of muzzle velocities possible for 6.5-caliber 85-grain bullets. It's middle of the pack. Slow is around 3,000 fps, "very" fast is around 4,000 fps. You could call it "very" fast if you were talking about muzzle velocities regardless of caliber or bullet weight. That's not very precise talk.

Suit yourself ButterBean. I think you just don't like me. I can live with that. : )
unnamed.jpg

That is blistering for a creedmoor. He didn't say the 6.5 creedmoor was a blistering fast cartridge
Kind of like saying "that is blistering for a Toyota Camry," isn't it? Not really something to brag about. Anyways, you're still missing my point, which is the gun press has convinced a lot of folks to be enamored of the Creedmoor for all the wrong reasons. Folks end up expecting too much from the gun, and voila, they track a deer for hours because they shot it with a cartridge that didn't quite have what it took at 450 yards. I'm no better, I've done the same thing. I'm not attacking a person. I'm trying to encourage folks to be objective about a tool. It's just metal and plastic. It's not your [boy/girl/whatever]friend. Jee whiz you guys get personal about your guns.

You can dance around it anyway you like, But it seems you are pointing fingers at the wrong congregation. Seems any religious fanaticism associated with the cartridge comes from the side with a weird spiritual devotion to it's demise. Totally nonsensical to the point it is comical.
My religion is science, not a rifle caliber.

You know what's wrong with the creed more it used too be called the 6.5x55 1-7.5 twist Swedish cartridge and already has been around for over a hundred years and been doing as good if not better for a long time
Yes and it's ballistics serves a purpose. I probably wouldn't have taken a distaste for the CM except when some would try to explain how it was superior to what I was shooting. **** young whipper snappers.

The 6.5 creed is plenty for deer at that range.
Where do you draw the line for the 6.5 creedmoor and grab a bigger gun? I think 500 is about max with a 147 EDL-M. And I'm not talking about crunching numbers and ft-lbs and what not. Have you actually killed multiple animals beyond 400 yards and what did you think of the damage upon bullet impact, and after bullet impact? I killed 5 bucks (full grown muleys) from 40-450 yards with mine. Every single one took 2 shots, possibly not necessary, but they darn sure weren't deathly ill after the first shot. The two that were past 400 yards hardly even knew they were even hit, with either shot. Also shot a coyote at 425 yards quartering away, that still took 2 shots.

6.5 creed. 5 bucks - 10 Shots. 147 ELD-M

28 Nosler. 8 bucks (even bigger bucks) - 8 Shots. Berger 180VLD, Berger 195 EOL, and 169 Hammer Hunter.

I barely just started shooting hammers. Only killed 2 mule deer and an elk with them. So I'm not a hammer supporter. But I am a fan of true terminal ballistic data, and I have a decent amount of first hand data.

I feel like "Plenty" is an overstatement. Enough, yes.

There's also a video of a guy shooting a big mountain muley at 630 yards 3 times with a 6.5 creedmoor and it hardly moves, over about the course of 2 minutes, and then falls over.

Ah! Perhaps you all would be kind enough to substitute 'killing quickly' or 'harvesting quickly' for 'ethical', when you read my previous posts. Meanwhile, I'll edit away the word (but not the idea).

Hey, I thought it was the gun-fearing liberals who were afraid to speak openly about ideas?

This site was designed to be a place where people can discuss long range hunting without the stigma associated with it from people who think shooting past 100 yards is unethical. Since the ethics of this topic are highly subjective based on personal experience it is better to leave them out of the discussion and focus solely on the facts of the topic.

This site was designed to be a place where people can discuss long range hunting without the stigma associated with it from people who think shooting past 100 yards is unethical. Since the ethics of this topic are highly subjective based on personal experience it is better to leave them out of the discussion and focus solely on the facts of the topic.
Hence Rule #1

I agree and my experience has shown small hole in and same size out usually means multiple shots, long death time, and even lost animals normally found dead within a short distance. I could not help but notice you mentioned 7mm STW....yes the original 28 Nosler. My personal experience with three bull elk was my first education on what I call bullet failure. This was late 90's and I was shooting Moly coated (I coated them) 160 Speer Grand Slam @ 3300FPS. I had never shot them into an animal before but this was the only bullet that was as accurate as I wanted in this rifle ( .5"/5 shot at 100yds.) Plus, according to the media world they were a premium never fail hunting bullet.

Out of state hunt. Bull #1 small (300" 6x6 standing full broadside @150yds) and I put it right in the crease. At the shot it did not flinch, and just turned quickly and went out of view. My life long hunting partner was spotting next to me and instantly said "GD it you FN missed that easy of a shot, now it will be way down in that hell hole if we ever see it again". Needless to say a very obnoxious argument ensued and scared elk for miles. So we hustle hard to the top to get a view and I luckily saw antlers move about 100yds away when we got to where it had been. I killed it with a neck shot (bedded head up perfectly alert and it turned its head to look at us when we hit the top as it had no idea what even happened to itself) Full autopsy and it penciled through both lungs with a rib bone in and out.

In state same year. Bull #2 (rag horn 3x4 slight quarter facing me at 200yds) and again right in the crease. Bull acts as if its not hit, spins, and runs across a small flat towards the cliffs. There are small narrow chutes they will climb up or run down to escape but normally avoid. It slows at the edge and stops head up and is turning back and forth trying to find a chute now close to 300yds. I get another full broadside shot and put #2 in the crease but this was going the opposite direction as the first. This shot stops him and he is locked up but his head up. I emptied the gun (2 more) into the exact same location as quickly as I could get on target and he is obviously sick on the 3rd one. Full autopsy and all four pencil through were in a group of about 8-10 inches. Three dble lung and the first was a single lung with some ribs in and out. Yes, my partner shows up and immediately chews butt. Tells me I should "throw that *** of a rifle off the cliff and use a rock from now on".

Following year in state. Bull #3 (Spike quartering away 150yds) and put in mid rib cage and out the off side crease. This time he instantly shows he is hit and just slowly moves around and then locks up standing. His head slowly lowers but he does not fall down and after a minute or so I shoot him in the neck. Yep, another pencil hole on the first shot. So, for me I will shoot any other bullet if I can at animals regardless of caliber/bullet weight.

Later, My kid shot his first bull with the same rifle but used a Barnes 160XLC for a neck shot and that was the last animal bigger than a coyote the rifle has killed. I turned it into a varmint gun shooting 120 Ballistic Tips at 3600fps and it shoots .5" today!!
Yeah we built three 7mm STWs back around 1993ish. I don't remember the exact year. We had to make cases out of 300 Weatherby cases for several years until Remington finally started making case. I was a labor or love, or craziness depending on your perspective. My 7mm STW started life as a Remington 280 Mountain Rifle barreled action that was fitted to a 1990 vintage McMillan mountain rifle style stock. It had a #4 26in SS Shilen barrel. It wore a second barrel from Douglas years later. Of course we had the typical magazine length issues with all 3 rifles. If we tried to load any longer bullets we were single loading them. Back then the bullet of choice for deer was a 140gr Nosler Ballistic tip. My son killed his first Coues with that rifle back in 2008. I think I used it once more on a Coues in 2009 and that was the last time it was used. It sat in the safe until 2015 when it was reborn as a 7mm LRM for my now grown son. I only re-used the action, its now a 26in #5 fluted Brux, #2 Terminator Brake, McMillan Game Warden stock w/adjustable comb. Its a super accurate kinda heavy long range rig. My son has killed several great Coues bucks with it and 1 cow elk. I used it back in 2018 to take a nice Coues buck. I retired my 9.8lb custom 7mm LRM for a Defiance based 6.8lb 6.5 PRC 3 years ago (bare no scope weight). Now that 6.5 PRC has been used by my son in law, daughter, my wife and my self to hunt with. Its taken 4 Coues bucks and 18 African Antelope. Totally satisfied with the little short mags performance.