AZ Coues deer-6.5 Creedmore and Hammers

Calling someone's well-intentioned actions 'unethical' has no place on this forum. Go back and refresh yourself on the rules.

As an aside, before wild horses and burros were under federal protection, AZ Game & Fish would cull them on a semi-regular basis. These are 300 to 800 lb. animals - probably tougher than the typical coues deer buck at 120 lbs. What was their preferred rifle of choice for culling? A 22-250 with an 80 grain bullet.

I thank the OP for sharing his story and experiences - both the good and the bad. And what a great buck!
We all know that story and I'm a light and fast pill fanatic but all of the mechanics have to be there, that combo is good for 275 yards on deer sized critters, The 124 would be the pill to use for 500 and in ,the unethical part I agree with , RULE#1

Very nice buck and kudos for trailing and recovering such a good buck. One thing that jumped out from your experience is that something was not working properly for a shot to be taken past 400 yards. First shot missed 3 inches over indicates a total of 9 inches off point of aim, then second shot hits to high to be lethal.

We don't discuss ethics on this forum! We discuss maybe making a mistake and not choosing the right bullet. We discuss learning from ones mistakes. We discuss helping each other. We give congrats and recommendations when due.

I would have used a different bullet. Congrats on a great Coues buck. I've killed many with the 140 Bergers out of a 6.5 Creedmoor, performance is awesome loaded with RL26 running around 2925 FPS MV. Good job on the recovery and keeping your nose to the ground!

We all know that story and I'm a light and fast pill fanatic but all of the mechanics have to be there, that combo is good for 275 yards on deer sized critters, The 124 would be the pill to use for 500 and in ,the unethical part I agree with , RULE#1
Did I miss something here I read the entire post and I never seen the OP called unethical but congrats on a nice buck and analyzing his experience with a 85 gr Hammer bullet at 458 yds ,on a nice buck

First off, I've hunted coues deer all my life and that is one great looking buck. Congrats! And great work staying with it till the end.

The cartridge is not the issue, it's the bullet selection. A 223 Rem will kill a coues deer fast at the right distance and with the right bullet, don't ask me how I know. 😉

Ethical or not we don't discuss that here, Period. Leave ethics out of this forum.🤐

This is a learning experience, so to the OP, read carefully and learn, many here will give you great advice on what bullet works best with whatever cartridge you want to use. From bullet construction, minimum velocity needed for a proper kill on a given animal, proper shot placement, how to work a scope, load development, how to use a ballistics app, etc, etc.

If you plan on sticking with Hammers, talk to @ButterBean , he knows these bullets inside out and I'm sure he won't mind helping you out. If you plan on using other bullets many of us here will be willing to help as well.

Again, congrats on great buck, I haven't seen many of that size in a while.

We don't discuss ethics on this forum! We discuss maybe making a mistake and not choosing the right bullet. We discuss learning from ones mistakes. We discuss helping each other. We give congrats and recommendations when due.

I would have used a different bullet. Congrats on a great Coues buck. I've killed many with the 140 Bergers out of a 6.5 Creedmoor, performance is awesome loaded with RL26 running around 2925 FPS MV. Good job on the recovery and keeping your nose to the ground!

Well said, you beat me to it as I was typing it. LOL

I read #16 and ethics was mentioned. But not in the terms of calling the OP unethical. Wrong bullet choice was mention by who I believe is the poster in question. The OP even suggested he'd choose a different bullet next time, in reference to a heavier weight Hammer or otherwise. The OP could have not posted the story and then we would have never learned from his experiences. So kudos to him for sharing. Nice buck btw and good for you for sticking to it.

Recent Posts