ATV Question - Deep Snow Hunt

royinidaho

I'm thinking/planning a hunt into a fairly remote intermediate elevation (8000') hunt.

It will be several weeks long, unless first day beginners luck kicks in.:rolleyes:

Here's the consideration.

There will be either no or very minimum snow depth when going in.

It may be that snow will be the reason for getting out.

This will be an LRH ambush hunt.

The idea is to get all the stuff in under no snow conditions and out w/possibly 3 feet of the stuff on the ground. There is no way to know.

Snowmobiles are out of the question.
4X4 either side by side or straddle don't seem reasonable.

Any one besides me ever think of a Polaris Ranger 6X6; building tracks for the rear and skis for the front?

I could then use the rig for other things including work around the "No Rancho Yetto"

If snow'd in, snow shoeing out wouldn't be much of a problem. Its getting all of the stuff out along with the long dreamed about trophy out that is the problem.

Any tho'ts would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Are chains on the tires going to help or are you worried about the ATV bellying out in the snow?

If you are going to make tracks for the rear wheels are you going to "attach" them to the existing tires or are you going to get some different rims and attach the tracks to the new rims?
If the rear wheels (on the same side) drive at different speeds there might be some problems getting the tracks to turn properly.

Failing all that some kind of self laying track thet unrolled from the front. Although once it had all unrolled rolling it back up to use again will be real pain!!

Seems like something to keep you busy, the best being you aren't going to know 100% that it works until you are in there in 3 foot of snow driving out!

Keep us posted, especially pics.

Stu.

I use an ATV with Tatou Tracks. I believe Camoplast owns them now. Lightfoot by Mattracks is another option. Works well and there are no worries. Enjoy the trip.

I have a friend with the track kit on his Polaris 4wheeler. He lives at the base of the mountain and and plows more snow than you'd ever imagine with it. He said it will go anywhere and has never gotten stuck with the tracks. I think the track kits are about $2500, so it would be something you would want to get some use out of.

The Ranger 6x6 is a nightmare if you stick it in snow and they handle poorly for hunting. I have lion hunted with a guy who takes one along and were always digging it out, we finally told him we weren't going with him if he takes it. The Ranger seems like one that is great or a total turd.
On the other hand a four wheeler with the tracks is unreal, handles real well and goes in snow better than a snowmobile if your just going low and slow. There like a mini snow cat. If you have snow on the ground on the way in just pull a snowmobile sled behind.
On dry ground, tracks are not the best but with a few inches of snow they start working better without bogie or track problems. You can swap from tracks to tires and back without to much work.

I would think that a tracked ranger or similar would be what you are looking for. I have never seen one in action but in theory it should work. However, Have ya ever thought about packing on a horse??

Hey Roy, don't really have any advice to help you out. But I look forward to reading about this adventure later this fall on LRH. :D

Thanks for the input.

Seeing as how a Ranger 6X6 is $14k, new other new options introduced in ya'll's posts not some nice options.

Main concern is bogging down in the snow. The advantage of the 6x6 is the 2k lb payload. The down side is the 1500+ pounds of standard weight.

Bog that down and yur in trouble.

When I priced tracks for my Habit Invasion Vehicle - Carrier (HIV-Carrier:D) read Suzuki SideKick it came to 24,000 dollars. That would make the tracks worth well over 10X the value of the vehicle.:D

The suggestion of a large 4X4 with the tracks pulling a reasonable size trailer and as much cable on a front winch that one can get may do the trick.

Your input is well accepted.

I also have a Kubota RTV900 Diesel. It also has tracks on it. It is slow with tracks but I have never been stuck ever with it. I would never take it in the Mtn's because it would not side hill well. The ATV is my favorite. I paid $4200 for the tracks on the Kubota and $3900 for the ones on the ATV. I love it.

I also have a Kubota RTV900 Diesel. It also has tracks on it. It is slow with tracks but I have never been stuck ever with it. I would never take it in the Mtn's because it would not side hill well. The ATV is my favorite. I paid $4200 for the tracks on the Kubota and $3900 for the ones on the ATV. I love it.

I've been snooping around.

The lltetrack from Mattrack is around 3900 bucks and have a weight limit of 3500 lbs gross. They show them for mini trucks.

As I have no intention of ever getting off the road, snow shoes for that, I'm bettin' I can get a set for my Sidekick which is well under 2500 #s.

Good advice.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts