Athlon Argos BTR 6.5x24x50mm??

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 48126

Gents, recently bought two Athlon Argos BTRs in 6.5x24x50mm. They are MOA/MOA. I bought them because they were so cheap and all the reviews on amazon, optics planet, and YouTube said they were good. Looking back at it none of the reviews had the important info like ability to hold zero and repeatability.

I've been gone for a while so I haven't had a chance to mount them or shoot them. They are going on a custom Rem 700 .260 and a very similar custom Rem 700 in .243. How is the tracking? Are they reliable scopes? Tough/rugged?

Unboxing them, I was impressed. Felt and looked of similar quality to a vortex viper HST. I know I already bought them, any info at this point is just for expectation management. Thanks everyone.

Same guts as the primary arms and BSA mil mil FFP scopes.
I had both of those and they tracked just fine. I still have the BSAs because the reticle rotated on the primary arms on a 300 Weatherby after about 600 rounds.

I can tell you if they don't hold zero and track properly, you can send them back for immediate replacements.

Thanks gents. I already used their warranty. They sent me a MIL/MIL scope on accident. Super quick turn around. Literally 2 days from the time they received it. It makes me a little nervous to hear they use Parts similar to BSA. That's the only scope brand I've seen fail literally every time I've seen one put to use.

Not saying they don't (using BSA parts), but that is certainly hard to believe......I heard owners are ex techs at Bushnell and I believe the glass (and likely the components) are sourced from the same suppliers and glass manufacturer in Japan....just with a lot less overhead, thus easier to bring to market at a more attractive price point.

I have the cheaper Talos model, 2 of them ,,,, Can you say JUNK,,, i rate them below the Sightmark triple duty 8.5 -25 x 50 but above BSA and the new Tascos !

Last edited:
I have the cheaper Talos model, 2 of them ,,,, Can you say JUNK,,, i rate them below the Sightmark triple duty 8.5 -25 x 50 but above BSA and the new Tascos !

That's the reviews I've seen. Just a general statement. What makes them junk? Can't track, can't hold zero, fogs up?

Once I get them set up I'll do a tracking test and post the results.

Not saying they don't (using BSA parts), but that is certainly hard to believe......I heard owners are ex techs at Bushnell and I believe the glass (and likely the components) are sourced from the same suppliers and glass manufacturer in Japan....just with a lot less overhead, thus easier to bring to market at a more attractive price point.

The BSAs I'm talking about was a midway exclusive. They are not even made by BSA they are imported form the same factory as the primary arms 4-14 FFP. They all have the same components.
Here's a pic of one I used on a Ruger for a while.

Same body's same components under the turrets same everything.
This is the BSA 6-24 FFP.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 145
Sorry, I posted the same pic.
I had the primary arms and three of the BSAs. And a guy at the range had the 4-14 FFP Athlon. All three were basically the same scopes. Another buddy had a Falcon Menace 4-14 FFP and my BSAs came with the same reticle and the cheesy velvet bag they send in the box as the Falcon. All the same scopes from the same factory.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 126
That's the reviews I've seen. Just a general statement. What makes them junk? Can't track, can't hold zero, fogs up?

Once I get them set up I'll do a tracking test and post the results.

I can only tell you about the Talos model,,, For the money they are ok,,,, mil dots are so tiny they are almost usless , UNLESS you have very good eyes,,, glass seems ok ,,,tracking can not tell you yet,,, I have shot mine only a couple 3 times ... good is they are light in weight.,, capped target type nobs are mushy you need to pay close attention when clicking the nobs.

Oh and something i forgot eye relief is VERY sensitive and un forgiving @ 24X

My feeling is there are better cheapo scopes out there .....

Sorry, I posted the same pic.
I had the primary arms and three of the BSAs. And a guy at the range had the 4-14 FFP Athlon. All three were basically the same scopes. Another buddy had a Falcon Menace 4-14 FFP and my BSAs came with the same reticle and the cheesy velvet bag they send in the box as the Falcon. All the same scopes from the same factory.

You're right. That does not look like the BSAs I'm use too. That looks very similar to the Argos. Hopefully the Argos works out.

You're right. That does not look like the BSAs I'm use too. That looks very similar to the Argos. Hopefully the Argos works out.

Every one I have tracks really well. I have hundreds of firing solutions on them and they always return to zero.
I am actually impressed with them.

I can only tell you about the Talos model,,, For the money they are ok,,,, mil dots are so tiny they are almost usless , UNLESS you have very good eyes,,, glass seems ok ,,,tracking can not tell you yet,,, I have shot mine only a couple 3 times ... good is they are light in weight.,, capped target type nobs are mushy you need to pay close attention when clicking the nobs.

Oh and something i forgot eye relief is VERY sensitive and un forgiving @ 24X

My feeling is there are better cheapo scopes out there .....

Thanks for the detailed info. The Argos is a step up from the talos so hopefully I'll have a winner!

I really need time to go shoot and see what they are made of.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.