Areo Precision AR10 questions

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 48126

Will an aero precision AR10 upper work with any AR10 lower or is it only Aero precision? Also this is my first AR10 build, do they use the same buffer tubes, hand rails, and triggers as an AR15?

These are the parts I'm looking at:

Giessele trigger
Midwest industry 20 inch rail
Magpul furniture
Lower??

The upper is already built just want to switch out handrails. Thanks for your time.

Unlike the AR15, AR10s are not as universal. That Being said, that usually in my experience is in regards to small parts. I've been able to switch uppers on different receivers and it work, just know that there is a small possibility that it there will be a fitting issue depending on manufacture.

Unlike the AR15, AR10s are not as universal. That Being said, that usually in my experience is in regards to small parts. I've been able to switch uppers on different receivers and it work, just know that there is a small possibility that it there will be a fitting issue depending on manufacture.

What about triggers and hand rails? Thinking a giessele trigger and Midwest industries rail. Do those have to be AR specific? Thanks for your response!

The trigger part will be no problem, it will fit

as for the Rail: The rails attach differently I do not know if they make an adapter to fit the rail you wish to use.

best of luck with your build

V/R
M.Bird

The rails are different and come in 2 different heights so you have to make sure you check you're getting the right one. I'm pretty sure M.I. makes some ar-10 handguards so I'd check on their website to see which one you like.

Great, thanks for the help guys. I want this built right. Hopefully I'll have a long range .308 AR to match my custom .308 savage 110. I think it'll be cool to have a semi auto in a heavier caliber for large game, at long distance, with quick follow up shots.

Just make sure you know if its a DPMS related AR10 part or not, and that DPMS is not compatible with other rails that aren't DPMS or DPMS compatible in the AR10. Aero Precision is not compatible with DPMS, from what I've seen a few years back. So I'm guessing their specs are closer to Armalite.

Just make sure you know if its a DPMS related AR10 part or not, and that DPMS is not compatible with other rails that aren't DPMS or DPMS compatible in the AR10. Aero Precision is not compatible with DPMS, from what I've seen a few years back. So I'm guessing their specs are closer to Armalite.

Yeah its not DPMS compatible. Ive read that Areo precision is machined "thicker" than DPMS so they will not work with out some play in the upper/lower or machining requirements.

I know this is an older thread but it could cause people to make a wrong purchase so I thought I should correct it or at least bring what I believe is an error.

I maybe wrong guys but I don't think so... The Aero PREcision 308 upper and lowers which they call their M5 series are built on the DPMS internal spec pattern and NOT the Armalite spec. So from what I know of Aero Precison they ARE DPMS compatible and not Armalite. Also CMMG lower parts do not always fit DPMS lower compatible parts so be careful on that one.

But understand while they are internal meaning them use all dpms spec internal parts the outside is their own properitary design so while hey may match up and function they will not look good if you mix and match upper and lowers from different companies. When it comes to the AR-10 world its shoudl be a rule to alwasy get matched sets or from the same company and model run that will ensure the best upper lower fitment

OK I just double checked the site and as I recall it stated DPMS compatible

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/m5e1-enhanced-upper-receiver.html under specifications clearly states the following:
For the upper:

Feature: .2795 takedown pin holes (DPMS size)
Compatibility: Accepts standard DPMS .308 components

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-308-stripped-lower-receiver.html
For lower:

Feature: Works with standard DPMS 308 components and magazines

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.