Are Hogs Realy Dangerous?

seattleman 1969, sounds like a lot of fun mountain hunting hogs, never did that yet...I used to live near Waco, and worked there...
I have chased out a few hogs from a field of Johnson grass in Grimes County.. thought they were just 10 or 12, but when they came out of there ... lol...it was a huge wad of them altogether, and my partner and I had an epic hunt that day .... gun firing hog squealing time... My Son got caught in the open, had an AR-15 and a 9 mm pistol , one in each hand ,,,, He calls it a rodeo... I went to high ground from where I was; and caught them all in the open, grabbed my DPMS LR 308 and started hammering them... The rest ran off the ranch and there had to be at least 40 of them that got away. Lessons learned from this was a 223 is better left home and a 9 mm ... My Son said of all the ones he shot, only one was killed outright... they were just absorbing bullets, but they dropped later on ..I ended up with 4 dead ones or almost dead in the field , but found some hear or there flopping around in the brush and gulches..they absorb lead.. My lesson learned was never buy a cheap scope, because it failed on me, and i ended up shooting from the hip.... So I got a high dollar scope now, to correct that. My Son has gone to one of two rifles a 3006 or a 270, and a hog legg in 44 magnum.... My backup is a 44 Super Redhawk.... lol I love this stuff.

Well Bob, looks like that hunt with you is going to get delayed. Went to my supposed "Pre-op" yesterday for Cataract surgery and the Pre-op was delayed until the end of January. Seems, from what one of the nurses told me, that there had been a number of administrative personnel (Not Medical) terminations in Phoenix lately and the Tucson VA was picking up the slack. Parking lot was jammed.

Personally, relating to Phoenix and the VA, I don't believe that Government employee's should get bonuses, since 1 out of every 5 earns over $100,000 per year and their retirement and benefits outstrip even what I got as an Executive. But that's the system, and will just have to live with it until I get into power!...:rolleyes:

Wouldn't mind so much, but in April, the house goes on the market and we are moving. The kids want us back in Washington State, but not sure my attitude towards gun control is going to fly there. I'd like to pull the handle and flush Seattle. Would gladly move to the hill country of Texas, but my wife's allergies are just as applicable there as they are in Tucson (Mesquite and Palo Verde tree's). Thinking seriously about Idaho, but who knows at this point in time?

Anyway, someday, maybe next fall, may get the chance to either take you hunting in the brush or go shoot some hogs in your neck of the woods when I come down to see my Brother.

****, ****, ****:-(

Bruce

Well, Bruce that's the way it goes sometimes and we call it life. We got to make the best of it. Like me , I would love one of Len's custom rifles , but I have to settle for my Savage 308.... lol I just had a brain scan a week ago, and i guess they didn't find anything... No calls, so I say no news is good news.... Going huntin Saturday with the grand kids and its gonna be fun.... maybe I'll get some pics , we got the lease set up now for up to 800 yd shot on one side ... This is a shirt tail event now and my 14 yr old Grandson started it out, with a deer downed at 250 yds, ... he says he's got a sharp knife for cuttin shirt tails like his grandpa, cut his brothers off.... lol I hope I don't miss, because I started the shirt tail cutting a few years ago...

I visited with one guy who wanted to post a video of himself harvesting a feral "Russian" with his .50 cal. muzzle loader. He had his son along with a .45-70 just-in-case, and his wife with the video camera. After the shot, the hog took off. Using slow motion, you could see the ball bounce off the hog's head. YES, they are tough.

View attachment 37482

I'm telling ya what... If this thing came after me, I'd be looking for a big tree. I thought it was photoshopped at first. That's a lot of nasty bacon right there.

HOLY LIGHTNING!
We get big pigs around here. I've seen some I'd say are in excess of 350 pounds however that big one has to be at least 600 pounds. Just guessing.

Unless you hit the perfect shot on those all you've done is make them angry. Wow.

I thought it's was photoshopped at first however why would someone lie in a forum where we are all just trying to improve our skills.

Better have an extra freezer for those ones.

Wow

I keep hearing all of these stories about hogs and #ell yes they are dangerous. I've personally had my but put in a tree on 3 different occasions. A sow that has a couple of litters feeding around can be very patient and she won't forget about you.

I'm repeating myself, but if you want to hunt some BIG hogs, find a way to hunt Ga. or S.C. and especially the drainage to the Savannah River. The drainage out to about 100 miles has some good ones. If you're lucky/un-lucky you may see one around 500lbs. They do exist. Unless you are in a sturdy stand don't shoot one by yourself.

This year we had so much rain (floods) that the farmers, especially the p-nut farmers couldn't get into their fields to harvest. So the hogs are going to be well fed this year, and they grow p-nuts everywhere in the Savannah River drainage.

You do realize that they can have 3 litters every 13 months. Apparently they can have multiple pregnancies.

I killed one a few years (8 - 10) ago that the cutters were worn down until the ends of them was the diameter of your little finger tip cut off at a 45* angle and still about 4 inchs long after they broke off at the gum (pliers and beer).

Take my word for it, don't trail one into a thicket where you can't stand up (read RUN!). They talked me into that one time, luckily that hog had the decency to have expired before I got there. I still put a 460 S & W about 365 gr. LFN in his forehead from about 30 yards, there wasn't much of the back of his skull left.

Y'all have fun, be careful, don't want to read about you, and have fun. Paul :D

P.S. A short barreled 3 1/2 in. 000 Buck works real good too (15 or 18 pellets)

seattleman 1969, sounds like a lot of fun mountain hunting hogs, never did that yet...I used to live near Waco, and worked there...

My name doesn't reflect my home or current location, I never hunted hogs in Washington although I hear there are a few areas over there that are starting to see some pigs.

I currently live in Williamson county Texas and have hunted hogs here as well as areas of Travis, Milam, Lee, Limestone, Liberty, Harris, Chambers, Robertson, Mills, Mason, and Real counties.

I have a very good High School classmate, former Marine who is running for Sheriff of Comanche county right now (Just announced his candidacy) and he runs dogs on 'em up there, no firearms allowed, knives only (He's a little bit loco).

I've been run out of areas several times duck and goose hunting in Liberty and Anahuac. Yes, they are dangerous, even more so when you surprise them at zero dark thirty and are only loaded with birdshot...

Interesting considerations. I consider all wild animals to be dangerous at some level and the more they weigh, the more dangerous their potential. Most hogs try to ignore or avoid humans. Threatened and especially wounded and threatened hogs often will try to defend themselves. That is something folks really need to remember.

Oh come on now! How can you guys claim that hogs are dangerous? Just look at how friendly the pig looks in this photo!

P.S. - Don't do this if you don't want to catch swine flu!

Attachments

• girl kissing a pig.jpg
    girl kissing a pig.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 101
My go to rifle when doing any kind of hunting in hog country is a Sauer 303 in 9.3x62 loaded with Norma 232 grain Oryx bullets. This round has been very effective on hogs and I've shot it out to 500 yards in training so it also works for deer.

Yesterday at last light I was able to shoot 2 hogs coming out of a creek bed at 140 yards. The 9.3 scored again and I was thankful for the illuminated reticle on the Swaro Z6i 1-6 scope.

I also always carry a Glock 20 10mm with heavy bullets for caliber that wears a Trijicon RMR red dot sight.

It's nice to have the semi auto when multiple hogs present themselves as targets.

Watch out, the hog is tasting him for future reference. Remember that they're supposed to be smarter than a dog, I've had dogs remember me for years. (let's keep it clean !!)

All game animals can be dangerous. This doesn't mean that someone new to hog hunting should be scared or think they need a bigger rifle. I shoot a lot of hogs every year, at least half of them at night with an ar loaded with v-max bullets. Shot placement is key